You may remember that originally a vehicle over 25 years old became an 'historic vehicle' and was granted a free tax disc. Some years ago the chanceller at that time decided he could increase his income by fixing the date at 1st Jan 1973 so hard luck if your vehicle was built after that date.
If the rolling 25 year date was still in effect some XJS's would be benefiting by now, with others looking forward.
Without getting into the politics of the situation, I was wondering what your thoughts were as to should, or should there not be a 'historic vehicle' tax break?
Pop
Historic Vehicle Tax
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Historic Vehicle Tax
Pop
Dream on
In the current climate we'll be lucky if our cars aren't banned from the roads!
Green UK 2007 PLC. Isn't it super............ Deep Joy
NB Has anyone in Islington actually given any thought to what's going on in China, India etc. etc. Obviously not.......they can't TAX them
Emigration is a popular option I understand
Best Wishes
DH Dove
Dream on
In the current climate we'll be lucky if our cars aren't banned from the roads!
Green UK 2007 PLC. Isn't it super............ Deep Joy
NB Has anyone in Islington actually given any thought to what's going on in China, India etc. etc. Obviously not.......they can't TAX them
Emigration is a popular option I understand
Best Wishes
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
Historic Vehicle Tax
I think the only reason why vehicles registered before '73 were granted free tax is because the cost to the government of fully computerising all the records exceeds the net revenue likely to be earned from them!
XJ-S 3.6 230k miles +
-
jimthack180
- Posts:22
- Joined:Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:56 pm
Historic Vehicle Tax
Hi
As usual, this Government is knee-jerking to the green brigade, without proper consideration. I know a chap locally who runs a 1970 3ltr Ford Granada, tax free of course, drives flat out everywhere and boasts that he only gets 10 mpg, I quite believe it! My Sales Director runs a 2.5ltr Merc Diesel, gets about 27 mpg, but does 50k per year! What sort of carbon footprint ( ugh ) does he have? On the other hand, I drive my 1988 XJS 5.3 on average 5K per year ( very carefully ), and already pay a lot of tax on the relatively high petrol consumption, but get the feeling that I alone am the cause of global warming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has'nt the world heated up & cooled down many times before, certainly well before I was born! However, I digress. With regard to the issue of tax exemtion for older cars, of COURSE it should be allowed. After all, by keeping an older car on the road, instead of buying a new one, with all the manufacturing processes that involves, am I not saving carbon overall???
As usual, this Government is knee-jerking to the green brigade, without proper consideration. I know a chap locally who runs a 1970 3ltr Ford Granada, tax free of course, drives flat out everywhere and boasts that he only gets 10 mpg, I quite believe it! My Sales Director runs a 2.5ltr Merc Diesel, gets about 27 mpg, but does 50k per year! What sort of carbon footprint ( ugh ) does he have? On the other hand, I drive my 1988 XJS 5.3 on average 5K per year ( very carefully ), and already pay a lot of tax on the relatively high petrol consumption, but get the feeling that I alone am the cause of global warming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has'nt the world heated up & cooled down many times before, certainly well before I was born! However, I digress. With regard to the issue of tax exemtion for older cars, of COURSE it should be allowed. After all, by keeping an older car on the road, instead of buying a new one, with all the manufacturing processes that involves, am I not saving carbon overall???
Historic Vehicle Tax
Jim
You seem to be employing reason and logic in your argument
I think you need to work for a pressure group/charity/ EU/Govt. Dept. for a while to get it brainwashed out of you.........
Regards
DH Dove
You seem to be employing reason and logic in your argument
I think you need to work for a pressure group/charity/ EU/Govt. Dept. for a while to get it brainwashed out of you.........
Regards
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
Historic Vehicle Tax
We're all kidding ourselves if we think the government really cares about the environment. The scientific link between CO2 emissions and global warming is SERIOUSLY shaky and I doubt that the Government believe it themselves. Even if it were true, the UK's contribution is tiny. Its just a convenient banner they can hide behind and use to tax and control us all that little bit more, in my opinion. Makes me angry!
CLEAN old '87 XJ-S 3.6 manual (for sale!)
If no-one buys it soon, its going on classic insurance!
'96 XJR manual (the green monster)
If no-one buys it soon, its going on classic insurance!
'96 XJR manual (the green monster)
Historic Vehicle Tax
As reported in the April JEC magazime, a petition called for by Footman James, the insurance people. Add your vote before the close date of May 31st 2007
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/historiccartax/
Pop
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/historiccartax/
Pop
Bio fuels ?
Can someone explain why a move to Bio fuels is good.
Is it cynicism to think that more land will be given over to grow "fuel" crops and less to feed the world because its more valuable.
I understand that some African countries are growing out of season luxury crops for export
on their land and not growing staples to sustain their own communities. The profits of such trade do not go back to the people actually growing the crop.
All this environmental tosh is a smoke screen to suppress any real development in the third world.
Did anyone see that C4 program on the "Climate Change Con"
I think the term "green tax" doesn't refer to the environment but to what the government think we are .
Is it cynicism to think that more land will be given over to grow "fuel" crops and less to feed the world because its more valuable.
I understand that some African countries are growing out of season luxury crops for export
on their land and not growing staples to sustain their own communities. The profits of such trade do not go back to the people actually growing the crop.
All this environmental tosh is a smoke screen to suppress any real development in the third world.
Did anyone see that C4 program on the "Climate Change Con"
I think the term "green tax" doesn't refer to the environment but to what the government think we are .
Historic Vehicle Tax
On the basis that this thread has now turned into an anti-green rant I thought I'd add a few of my thoughts on green taxes
A "green tax" has no real basis in logic. They will never be set at a rate that will truly change people's behaviour because government cannot afford for them to work - they'll have no income!
Therefore, they will always be used as a revenue raising measure under a trendy environmental banner which is more difficult to object to than a straight forward tax. The rates will be set a level which is just about acceptable without radically changing the taxpayers behaviour. The Revenue coins it in - we pay and are made to feel guilty too.
Thus green taxes are ultimately self-defeating as an environmental measure.
There - that's got that off my chest!!
A "green tax" has no real basis in logic. They will never be set at a rate that will truly change people's behaviour because government cannot afford for them to work - they'll have no income!
Therefore, they will always be used as a revenue raising measure under a trendy environmental banner which is more difficult to object to than a straight forward tax. The rates will be set a level which is just about acceptable without radically changing the taxpayers behaviour. The Revenue coins it in - we pay and are made to feel guilty too.
Thus green taxes are ultimately self-defeating as an environmental measure.
There - that's got that off my chest!!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Historic Vehicle Tax
As reported in the April JEC magazime, a petition called for by Footman James......
Reply now posted by the government weasel word weavers at
http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page12025.asp
Reply now posted by the government weasel word weavers at
http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page12025.asp
Historic Vehicle Tax
Dear All
IMHO
"Green Taxes" will just price your average working Brit off the roads, leaving them free for rich people...........
Unless you live in London etc. public transport is a waste of time...so kiss goodbye to your job...........
Another New Labour (URBAN CHIC) policy victory
DH Dove
IMHO
"Green Taxes" will just price your average working Brit off the roads, leaving them free for rich people...........
Unless you live in London etc. public transport is a waste of time...so kiss goodbye to your job...........
Another New Labour (URBAN CHIC) policy victory
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
Re: Historic Vehicle Tax
As reported in the April JEC magazime, a petition called for by Footman James......
Reply now posted by the government weasel word weavers at
http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page12025.asp
What a load of 'you know what'
They're not going to turn it into a rolling date as they'll loose money.
Tax system is a big con I recon.
My last car was a big 1997 3ltr Shogun and with all the talk of taxing the gas guzzlers I thought i'd be more environmentaly friendly and get a smaller estate car and guess what!!!!!!!!!!
new car was an 02 hence fell into 'new' tax banding and tax is more expensive for it than my old Shogun.
Typical eh?
So in my case
More environmentaly friendly = taxed more
Reply now posted by the government weasel word weavers at
http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page12025.asp
What a load of 'you know what'
They're not going to turn it into a rolling date as they'll loose money.
Tax system is a big con I recon.
My last car was a big 1997 3ltr Shogun and with all the talk of taxing the gas guzzlers I thought i'd be more environmentaly friendly and get a smaller estate car and guess what!!!!!!!!!!
new car was an 02 hence fell into 'new' tax banding and tax is more expensive for it than my old Shogun.
Typical eh?
So in my case
More environmentaly friendly = taxed more
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

