Michael,
From memory (with apols if I've forgotten anything):
- Lower steering column
- carefully prise off two plastic end caps at end of warning lights
- undo retaining screws exposed behind the caps
- undo two screws under the lower shelf plinth
I THINK that's it. Then carefully pull top of cluster towards you. This enables you to carefully undo the two wiring plugs. You then extract the cluster.
Apols if I've got it wrong. It really is just a 5-minute job.
Good luck
Paul
Instrument Panel
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Instrument Panel
That's nearly it! There are 2 surrounds each side to be removed first. There is a screw each side and one above. Once that is done prise out the covers in the top corners to expose the mounting screws as Paul describes.
The surrounds are parts numbers 2 and 3 in the diagram below.
The surrounds are parts numbers 2 and 3 in the diagram below.
Re: Instrument Panel
Schoolboy error! Completely forgot about those panels. Tks David!
Paul
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Instrument Panel
Ok
I took the binnacle out and gave it to a guy to fix, unfortunately on doing a test refit I found that only 5 of the top warning lights now work and more worrying the speedo is reading maximum speed without the engine running so a new problem.
I am planning to ask the guy to have another go but not looking good as once I got it out it is clear someone has tapered with it in an attempt to fit led bulbs and been a bit clumsy
Can anyone tell me if the flexible PCB is available anywhere please? My vin is 223117
Thanks
Michael
I took the binnacle out and gave it to a guy to fix, unfortunately on doing a test refit I found that only 5 of the top warning lights now work and more worrying the speedo is reading maximum speed without the engine running so a new problem.
I am planning to ask the guy to have another go but not looking good as once I got it out it is clear someone has tapered with it in an attempt to fit led bulbs and been a bit clumsy
Can anyone tell me if the flexible PCB is available anywhere please? My vin is 223117
Thanks
Michael
Michael
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Re: Instrument Panel
Moving on one other question please, are they T5 bulbs? For the warning lights.
Michael
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Re: Instrument Panel
Michael,
a couple of thoughts:
- most LED bulbs are polarity specific, so you have to put them in the XJS the right way around. Try taking all the duff ones and just put them in the other way around.
- the speedo is very sensitive to correct voltage input. Check the wiring plug (3 times), check the earth screws, check the input wire on the plug and check the continuity of that circuit on the PCB. The answer is probably in one of those!
- PCB is NLA
Cheers
Paul
a couple of thoughts:
- most LED bulbs are polarity specific, so you have to put them in the XJS the right way around. Try taking all the duff ones and just put them in the other way around.
- the speedo is very sensitive to correct voltage input. Check the wiring plug (3 times), check the earth screws, check the input wire on the plug and check the continuity of that circuit on the PCB. The answer is probably in one of those!
- PCB is NLA
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Instrument Panel
Ok
Time to revisit this issue again, I know the condition of the printed circuit to the back of the binnacle has been tampered with in the past so I want to try and source a replacement either a complete binnacle or a flexible circuit sheet, I know it will be expensive but I want to future proof my car against the issue returning
So if anyone can point me in the direction of one please let me know, or if anyone knows of a firm that can refurbish my existing one reliably
Thanks Guys
Time to revisit this issue again, I know the condition of the printed circuit to the back of the binnacle has been tampered with in the past so I want to try and source a replacement either a complete binnacle or a flexible circuit sheet, I know it will be expensive but I want to future proof my car against the issue returning
So if anyone can point me in the direction of one please let me know, or if anyone knows of a firm that can refurbish my existing one reliably
Thanks Guys
Michael
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Re: Instrument Panel
Hi Michael,
I have no idea of the quality etc, BUT Britcar SEEM to claim that they sell a replacement printed circuit for DAC11192 for a very reasonable £48. I wonder if it's worth giving them a ring? At that price, if they actually do sell one, it would be worth a try.
Cheers
Paul
I have no idea of the quality etc, BUT Britcar SEEM to claim that they sell a replacement printed circuit for DAC11192 for a very reasonable £48. I wonder if it's worth giving them a ring? At that price, if they actually do sell one, it would be worth a try.
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Instrument Panel
Thanks Paul
Unfortunately they don’t have any, I have bought a used one that is not identical just in case I get desperate but I will still buy another if a correct one comes along.
Michael
Unfortunately they don’t have any, I have bought a used one that is not identical just in case I get desperate but I will still buy another if a correct one comes along.
Michael
Michael
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

