Page 1 of 1

Manifold leaks

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:18 pm
by poprivet
SimonR mentioned in another post about a leaking manifold, so I thought I would start another fresh topic as this seems to be a common problem.
I've had this happen twice over the years, the first blow was due to a broken stud between manifold and cylinder head, a new stud and gasket repaired that. Second was a cracked cast-iron manifold, I had it bronze welded and then had the face surface-ground as it had distorted, by a local engineering company. Been fine for two years now. I found a pair of spare manifolds at Stonleigh last year to keep as spares, which means of course that I will never need them! :wink:
Pop

Manifold leaks

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:32 pm
by SimonR
Hi Pop,

Well I had the courage to remove the cover from my manifolds last weekend and have found out where the blow is coming from. The main blow comes from a rathe large crack in the rear manifold, there is also a bit of a blow at the joint where the manifold and SS down-pipe join.

So I think I'm on the lookout for a new manifold, either that or I'll get my current one repaired. I'm wondering if it's possible to repair it in situ so that I don't risk breaking a stud when removing it.

Manifold leaks

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:58 pm
by poprivet
It really needs to come off to do a long-term repair imo. Stud replacement isn't too bad as there is a lot of room once the manifold is off. Repair of the manifold involves a lot of heat and it will warp so it will need skimming afterwards. Even if you get a replacement manifold, it will likely be cracked, or soon will do and then need a skim anyway.
Pop

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:41 pm
by Jon
Sorry to drag this topic up but does anyone know anywhere that produces stainless manifolds for the 3.6? I'd have thought they'd be a market with these cast iron ones prone to cracking. I tried double 'S' and that was a no-no.