My 1991 XJS V12 has failed its MOT with a rather large hole in the rear offside silencer (Gum-Gum won't help this one, I'm afraid). The parts are no longer available from anywhere it seems. Does anyone know of a decent "old-fashioned" garage near Guildford that can adapt a generic silencer to fit my XJS (& what kind of silencer would work) ?
Thanks.
VJS V12 1991 Exhaust Availability
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
-
richard.beechdene467

- Posts:2
- Joined:Sat Apr 12, 2025 10:57 am
- Location:Guildford, Surrey.
Re: XJS V12 1991 Exhaust Availability
Hi Richard, I assume you have tried the usual "national" exhaust outlets like Kwik Fit? Bit surprised that they cannot offer you something from the range, albeit you may have to succumb to changing both of the rear silencers to get a match.
Alternatives might be from a suitable Breaker's facility such as Autoreserve, or the performance outlets such as AJ6 Engineering. A quick check of their website indicates parts for XJS exhausts, although I didn't go as far as checking availability - give them a ring. Link below.
https://aj6engineering.co.uk/xjs-exhaust-systems/
Jim Mann
Alternatives might be from a suitable Breaker's facility such as Autoreserve, or the performance outlets such as AJ6 Engineering. A quick check of their website indicates parts for XJS exhausts, although I didn't go as far as checking availability - give them a ring. Link below.
https://aj6engineering.co.uk/xjs-exhaust-systems/
Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Banchory
Banchory
Re: VJS V12 1991 Exhaust Availability
Hi - just had a look on SNG Barratt’s website and they list the rear silencer and say its in stock
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/UK ... NTS(20431)
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/UK ... NTS(20431)
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
-
richard.beechdene467

- Posts:2
- Joined:Sat Apr 12, 2025 10:57 am
- Location:Guildford, Surrey.
Re: VJS V12 1991 Exhaust Availability
Thanks both,
I'll try both your suggestions.
Jim, Yes KwikFit were my first port of call, but they only seem to want to deal with quick and easy, swap in and out replacements these days (they used to be much happier to "make something work"). I will try the other guys too though.
David, Thanks for this, I had looked at SNG Barratt, but mine is pre-facelift & they were out of stock in that section (& I didn't think of looking in the facelift section). I'll give them a call to see if they will fit ... The facelift silencer seems to be longer and more oval than my current one but its worth a shout.
Many thanks for your suggestions,
Richard
I'll try both your suggestions.
Jim, Yes KwikFit were my first port of call, but they only seem to want to deal with quick and easy, swap in and out replacements these days (they used to be much happier to "make something work"). I will try the other guys too though.
David, Thanks for this, I had looked at SNG Barratt, but mine is pre-facelift & they were out of stock in that section (& I didn't think of looking in the facelift section). I'll give them a call to see if they will fit ... The facelift silencer seems to be longer and more oval than my current one but its worth a shout.
Many thanks for your suggestions,
Richard
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
