Longlife exhaust systems

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

PPV

Member
Posts:639
Joined:Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 pm
Location:Nantwich
Re: Longlife exhaust systems

Postby PPV » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:17 pm

I am sure Longlife guarantee the product, not the fitting by someone else. If the fitting business was a franchise then there may be some more come back on Longlife but really the issue is with the fiiting establishment if that is where you bought the item from.
It does seem Longlife could have been better though in at least replying to your query to save you the ongoing frustration but that does tend to be down to who actually received it and clearly there is some room for improvement in their customer service side.
Hope you get it sorted.
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Longlife exhaust systems

Postby Tintin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:45 pm

I am sure Longlife guarantee the product, not the fitting by someone else
If adequate clearance cannot be achieved the problem may be the shape of the pipes (Longlifes problem?) not the way they were fitted to the car (fitters problem). Either way it is inexcusable that a customer should be piggy in the middle in a dispute between Franchisee and Franchisor. I would forget the guarantee and "go for" the company with whom you had the contract - gets round the "who is to blame" issue.

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

PPV

Member
Posts:639
Joined:Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 pm
Location:Nantwich

Re: Longlife exhaust systems

Postby PPV » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:58 pm

I agree with Robbie, and that is what I was trying to say. It is who you bought the system from unless you bought it and then 'free issued' it to someone to fit. Then unfortunately you are in the middle, as one will say it could be the fitting that is the issue and the other will say it is who made it who is at fault.
Hopefully you bought a longlife system from someone who also installed it. Then it is their problem. If playing hard to get reject as not fit for purpose and then ultimately you can follow the small claims procedure but in doing that you must have made effort and given the person you have bought the item from chance to put things right first otherwise any claim can be reduced. The threat of this usually shakes someone up who cares about reputation.
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S

cabriolet

Member
Posts:159
Joined:Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm
Location:York

Re: Longlife exhaust systems

Postby cabriolet » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 pm

I now have a 50% refund from the fitter in Hull and have successfully had the system altered by my local Jaguar garage. I now have a good clearance between the axle and the rear pipes + the system has been raised about 3” as it was installed too near the ground. I must say that the ex Longlife fitter said he would honour the guarantee but after 2 visits I decided to have it sorted locally.

cabriolet

Member
Posts:159
Joined:Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm
Location:York

Re: Longlife exhaust systems

Postby cabriolet » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:33 pm

The situation with my exhaust has now been sorted. When my local mechanic serviced the car he made a comment about the poor installation of the exhaust and said he could rework it to give more clearance. To cover the payment for this work I contacted the Hull fitter and we came to a compromise for him to refund 50% of the £850 I paid him. I must say that at no point did he refuse to look at the car again, but with his garage being a 2hr round journey + waiting time it was not acceptable to keep repeating the process. The cost of the rework was £225 so I am £200 better off and an exhaust reworked with better overaxle and ground clearance.

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Longlife exhaust systems

Postby Tintin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 am

I'm pleased you got it sorted. Still, an unpleasant experience which must leave a bad taste in your mouth and reflects poorly on the company or companies concerned in the original work.

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

cabriolet

Member
Posts:159
Joined:Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm
Location:York

Re: Longlife exhaust systems

Postby cabriolet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm pleased you got it sorted. Still, an unpleasant experience which must leave a bad taste in your mouth and reflects poorly on the company or companies concerned in the original work.

Robbie
Thanks Robbie,
You still learn lessons in life so from this experience I would not get involved in a franchise system and take advise from local people that work on classic cars, especially Jags.
Regards
Alan


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests