COOLANT LEAK

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

jagdug
Posts:2
Joined:Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:24 pm
COOLANT LEAK

Postby jagdug » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:05 pm

HELLO xjs PEOPLE.
I have recently bought a 1985 Cabriolet ,75k miles and good service history and I am working my way from front to back to check it out.
it runs and starts and stops perfectly and there are only small oil leaks and no smoke of any colour from the exhaust. the oil filler cap is clean the engine coolant cap looks ok and the level in there looks to be constant at the bottom but in the tube part. The expansion tank level is just below the tube part and shows only slight lowering after I topped it up ( I made a dipstick to check)
The situation is like this Drive the car for about 30-40 minutes temperature gauge rises to half way between cold and normal fairly quickly ( 5 mins) and stays there , no sign of over heating whe n I look under the bonnet after the run .No coolant loss overnight . When I remove the caps to check (when its cold obviously) a small drip of coolant comes from the rhs of the front of the car .Not under the radiator but it drips off the body of the water pump housing just by where the pressure hose connects.
I have checked every hose joint and cannot see where it is coming from .the body of the water pump looks dry although its hard to be sure .
I am now thinking it may be the water pump gasket or the bearing seal.

ANY suggestions welcome!
JAGDUG

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: COOLANT LEAK

Postby ptjs1 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:35 pm

Jagdug,

If you can let us know what engine you've got in the car, then other members may be better able to offer suggestions as to the problem.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

jagdug
Posts:2
Joined:Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Re: COOLANT LEAK

Postby jagdug » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:01 pm

good point! Its fuel injected V12


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests