Too cold for gardening today (or so I told 'er indoors) so a bit of messing about in the workshop was permitted.
I took the original temperature sensor from my car and the DAC2583 I bought in. I wired them both up to my multimeter set to measure resistance and then heated up the sensor using a hot air gun.
Using a digital thermometer I then charted the resistance of each sensor as it cooled from 100 to 40 degrees C. This was repeated 4 times for each sensor and the results averaged to get a more accurate reading. The chart below is the average reading for each sensor.
The resistance is up the side (in ohms) and the temperature along the bottom (in degrees Celcius).
As you can see there is a steady relationship between the 2 sensors with the DAC2583 having a consistently lower resistance reading.
I did some sums and the difference within the key working temperatures (ie 60-100 degrees) between the averages of my readings is between 44 and 46 ohms at each reading.
So I have invested £2.74 in a 45 ohm resistor from Hong Kong via eBay and then I'll try making up a link lead to see if that gives the right readings on my car.
By the way, nothing wrong with my sensor - just curious!