Aftermarket radiator xjs 3.6

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

krakenfelt
Posts:6
Joined:Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:11 pm
Aftermarket radiator xjs 3.6

Postby krakenfelt » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:16 am

I’ve purchased an aftermarket radiator for my 1990 3.6 auto.

However it doesn’t have the fitting to attach the transmission lines to it.

Does anyone know where I can get these parts? Do they have a specific name?
Attachments
C84AFD80-2317-4DDF-BF81-DCE0734FCE6A.jpeg
DC373127-E1DD-462D-8460-AEC84D54A6B9.jpeg

krakenfelt
Posts:6
Joined:Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Re: Aftermarket radiator xjs 3.6

Postby krakenfelt » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:40 am

I have since fixed this by cutting off the old studs on the radiator and brazing a hollowed bolt of the correct thread for the new radiator.

Be aware when buying aftermarket radiators that you may have this issue.

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: Aftermarket radiator xjs 3.6

Postby Brakebuster » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:03 pm

if you connect this up you will kill your car,,,,,

the can on the aftermarket radiator doesn't have the separate compartment inside for the transmission cooler ,

the result will be to kill the engine and the transmission by mixing coolant with ATF

BB :roll:
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Aftermarket radiator xjs 3.6

Postby poprivet » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:15 pm

I've heard of the 'Romanian Oil in Coolant Scam'

I don't know how the scam works if it's your own car though :roll:

krakenfelt
Posts:6
Joined:Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Re: Aftermarket radiator xjs 3.6

Postby krakenfelt » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Bloody hell! Good job I broke the transmission pump when I didn’t mate the torque converter properly then.
Have you learned the hard way?

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Aftermarket radiator xjs 3.6

Postby poprivet » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Have you learned the hard way?
Well, an engineering degree wasn't that easy :wink:

Your existing radiator can be re-cored and pressure tested at reasonable cost and will be like new.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests