Greetings all.
The time has come to invest in new shockers/springs, front & rear for my 4L Coupe.
I am finding myself becoming "confused" (good practise for later on in life) in exactly what original part number I am looking for as well as a reputable supplier.
Had a shufty at SNG but they seem to be out of stock.
Any guidance or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
1994 4L Coupe suspension
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
ktclm06,
Assuming your car was ordered as "standard" from new, it will have had the late Sports springs and dampers. The part numbers are:
Front Spring Kit : JLM11309
Front Damper: CCC7474 (Green and made by Bilstein)
Rear Springs Kit: JLM11311
Rear Dampers CCC7466 (Green and made by Bilstein)
So those are the numbers but availability is a different issue. The dampers front and rear are available new from Jaguar. As genuine parts, you'll get theme cheaper from Jaguar through your dealer (with a JEC discount) than you will from the aftermarket suppliers, Barretts, SNG, Manners etc.
The springs are the issue. Front and back genuine springs are not available at present from Jaguar. As regards aftermarket springs (that may be described using the same part number), this is what the respected KWE enterprise has to say about the rear springs:
"However, these are usually unavailable from the OEM manufacturer, and the various aftermarket versions from the well-known suppliers are usually poor quality - wrong length, rate and they sag."
So, what are your options? Well, I chose to use the Eibach springs that were developed by the highly-respected Ray Ingham. Sold through Jaguar Classic Spares (part of XJ Restorations run by the club's technical adviser Keith Parrington), they were developed to specifically replace the late XJS Sports Springs.
I fitted Eibach Springs on the front and rear. I used Bilstein dampers on the front, and the Gaz adjustable platform dampers on the rear. This enabled me to then set my ride height at the recommended Jaguar height and then dial in the rebound rate to suit my driving style.
Maybe you could give Keith a ring and ask his advice.
Good luck
Paul
Assuming your car was ordered as "standard" from new, it will have had the late Sports springs and dampers. The part numbers are:
Front Spring Kit : JLM11309
Front Damper: CCC7474 (Green and made by Bilstein)
Rear Springs Kit: JLM11311
Rear Dampers CCC7466 (Green and made by Bilstein)
So those are the numbers but availability is a different issue. The dampers front and rear are available new from Jaguar. As genuine parts, you'll get theme cheaper from Jaguar through your dealer (with a JEC discount) than you will from the aftermarket suppliers, Barretts, SNG, Manners etc.
The springs are the issue. Front and back genuine springs are not available at present from Jaguar. As regards aftermarket springs (that may be described using the same part number), this is what the respected KWE enterprise has to say about the rear springs:
"However, these are usually unavailable from the OEM manufacturer, and the various aftermarket versions from the well-known suppliers are usually poor quality - wrong length, rate and they sag."
So, what are your options? Well, I chose to use the Eibach springs that were developed by the highly-respected Ray Ingham. Sold through Jaguar Classic Spares (part of XJ Restorations run by the club's technical adviser Keith Parrington), they were developed to specifically replace the late XJS Sports Springs.
I fitted Eibach Springs on the front and rear. I used Bilstein dampers on the front, and the Gaz adjustable platform dampers on the rear. This enabled me to then set my ride height at the recommended Jaguar height and then dial in the rebound rate to suit my driving style.
Maybe you could give Keith a ring and ask his advice.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
Assume that you are going to replace the top front bushes while you have it stripped. Mine sounded as if it was facing terminal doom then a change brought back silence again.
I replaced the rear dampers (green) with similar new ones from Jaguar - an expensive job as there are four. That is all that was needed - the car has done 80000. All the best.
I replaced the rear dampers (green) with similar new ones from Jaguar - an expensive job as there are four. That is all that was needed - the car has done 80000. All the best.
1994 Coupe AJ6 engine
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
Paul & Paul E,
Apologies for the delay in responding, busy week at work.
What can I say but a sincere "thank you" for your advice and guidance.
This is precisely why I constantly badger non-members to join the club. Where else are you going to get such valuable and knowledgeable advice?.
Thanks again, much appreciated and I have enough now to progress.
Keith.
Apologies for the delay in responding, busy week at work.
What can I say but a sincere "thank you" for your advice and guidance.
This is precisely why I constantly badger non-members to join the club. Where else are you going to get such valuable and knowledgeable advice?.
Thanks again, much appreciated and I have enough now to progress.
Keith.
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
Keith,
Glad to be of help. Let us all know how you get on. It's always of benefit for others to hear what route a member has chosen.
Good luck with your choices.
Paul
Glad to be of help. Let us all know how you get on. It's always of benefit for others to hear what route a member has chosen.
Good luck with your choices.
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
Will do, with pleasure.
Plan is to accumulate all the parts between now and Q1 next year and then get them fitted by Lincolnshire Jaguar Specialists come the season start service/MOT.
I am taking a few days out though following a (relative) monster bill on the XF earlier this week. I think the phrase I am looking for is ...."ouch". My love for the car remains undiminished and even Mrs.T waived it off as "worth every penny".
I concur.
Best wishes.
Plan is to accumulate all the parts between now and Q1 next year and then get them fitted by Lincolnshire Jaguar Specialists come the season start service/MOT.
I am taking a few days out though following a (relative) monster bill on the XF earlier this week. I think the phrase I am looking for is ...."ouch". My love for the car remains undiminished and even Mrs.T waived it off as "worth every penny".
I concur.
Best wishes.
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
Just wondering, would Bilstein B6 shocks be a suitable replacement for the original Sports dampers?Assuming your car was ordered as "standard" from new, it will have had the late Sports springs and dampers. The part numbers are:
Front Spring Kit : JLM11309
Front Damper: CCC7474 (Green and made by Bilstein)
Rear Springs Kit: JLM11311
Rear Dampers CCC7466 (Green and made by Bilstein)
EDIT:
The Bilstein part numbers I'm looking at are as follows:
Front = 24-024457
Rear = 24-024464
1995 4.0 Celebration Coupe in Sapphire
-
Jaguar5993

- Posts:134
- Joined:Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm
- Location:Petersfield
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
Hi Tris,
Its been over a month now since your post.
I was just wondering if you have any further info on this?
I wish to replace all my shocks and springs,but my car is a 1995 6.0 Coupe.
I would also be interested to know if these yellow/blue Bilstein B6's are the same as the Jaguar Bilstein green ones.
A few specialists seem to think GAZ shocks are also good,but not too sure if that just works best for the pre-facelift cars and is never going to be as good as Jaguar factory fitted Bilstein's (albeit at a price)as designed for these last XJS's.
Also looking for original springs all round and not the shortened and shimmed Aston Martin springs .Looking like £1000+ to do the lot.
Thanks
Its been over a month now since your post.
I was just wondering if you have any further info on this?
I wish to replace all my shocks and springs,but my car is a 1995 6.0 Coupe.
I would also be interested to know if these yellow/blue Bilstein B6's are the same as the Jaguar Bilstein green ones.
A few specialists seem to think GAZ shocks are also good,but not too sure if that just works best for the pre-facelift cars and is never going to be as good as Jaguar factory fitted Bilstein's (albeit at a price)as designed for these last XJS's.
Also looking for original springs all round and not the shortened and shimmed Aston Martin springs .Looking like £1000+ to do the lot.
Thanks
Nick W.
1995 XJS 6.0 V12 Coupe
1995 XJS 6.0 V12 Coupe
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
Hi Nick, I've had no further info at all.
1995 4.0 Celebration Coupe in Sapphire
-
Jaguar5993

- Posts:134
- Joined:Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm
- Location:Petersfield
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
Hi Tris,
I guess that some info is just too hard to obtain and we need to know where to look.
Jaguar should have the valve pressure figures somewhere, but not too sure if Bilstein would want to give out their B6 figures.
Probably like me ,you've been looking on the internet and there is plenty of information about these Bilstein B6 Sport/Performance shocks and how good they are.
I noticed that they say, these B6's fit all XJS's from 1975-96, so I assume they might be a worthwhile upgrade for non-Sportspack cars.
I am not too keen in getting the shocks that you have to experiment for comfort/sports feel and the need to adjust your ride-height.
If I do not hear to the contrary, then I will probably go all out for Bilstein B6's and swallow the £170 each x 6 !!
Its the 6L Coupe front and rear springs I have trouble with (JLM11309,JLM 11311). Again, not too keen on the shorter AM ones (may not have any choice),or finding out the hard way, that those remanufactured ones can't match the Jag originals.
I also think you can get your old ones re-heated/hardened to original spec, but again,would they actually be the same as Jag made them and how long will they last at the correct tension....I guess it’s a leap of faith!
I am hoping at some point in the future, the JEC can get these remade, as well as late headlights....we can dream!
Good luck.
I guess that some info is just too hard to obtain and we need to know where to look.
Jaguar should have the valve pressure figures somewhere, but not too sure if Bilstein would want to give out their B6 figures.
Probably like me ,you've been looking on the internet and there is plenty of information about these Bilstein B6 Sport/Performance shocks and how good they are.
I noticed that they say, these B6's fit all XJS's from 1975-96, so I assume they might be a worthwhile upgrade for non-Sportspack cars.
I am not too keen in getting the shocks that you have to experiment for comfort/sports feel and the need to adjust your ride-height.
If I do not hear to the contrary, then I will probably go all out for Bilstein B6's and swallow the £170 each x 6 !!
Its the 6L Coupe front and rear springs I have trouble with (JLM11309,JLM 11311). Again, not too keen on the shorter AM ones (may not have any choice),or finding out the hard way, that those remanufactured ones can't match the Jag originals.
I also think you can get your old ones re-heated/hardened to original spec, but again,would they actually be the same as Jag made them and how long will they last at the correct tension....I guess it’s a leap of faith!
I am hoping at some point in the future, the JEC can get these remade, as well as late headlights....we can dream!
Good luck.
Nick W.
1995 XJS 6.0 V12 Coupe
1995 XJS 6.0 V12 Coupe
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
I started looking at new springs some time back, without much success. One thought that occurred is there are several "competition" spring suppliers who probably know what they're doing. I found one somewhere up North, but I've lost the reference; a quick search just now turned up http://www.dfaulknersprings.com, who seem to supply Demon Tweaks amongst others. It might be worth talking to a few. The tough bit would be finding out the original spec, though it might just be a matter of diameter, wire diameter, number of turns and free length, or maybe they could do the necessary measurements of an old set.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
-
Jaguar5993

- Posts:134
- Joined:Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm
- Location:Petersfield
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
Hi Paul,
Thanks for info.
I’ve just noticed that the Jag specialist Berkshire Jag are advertising some remanufactured ones to original spec(JLM 11309)for £160.
What do you think?
Cheers
Thanks for info.
I’ve just noticed that the Jag specialist Berkshire Jag are advertising some remanufactured ones to original spec(JLM 11309)for £160.
What do you think?
Cheers
Nick W.
1995 XJS 6.0 V12 Coupe
1995 XJS 6.0 V12 Coupe
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
We have seen such a selection of poor-quality after-market springs over the years that I think one needs to be super-cautious.
Unless one knows that the spring is absolutely constructed to Jaguar spec material, spring rate and free length, equivalent to the originals, I would be very wary.
I would suggest that the only way to guarantee ride height is to fit Jaguar springs and shocks, or by using adjustable platform height shocks, such as Gaz, which also give the ability to set the rebound rate to suit each driver.
Good luck in your choice
Paul
Unless one knows that the spring is absolutely constructed to Jaguar spec material, spring rate and free length, equivalent to the originals, I would be very wary.
I would suggest that the only way to guarantee ride height is to fit Jaguar springs and shocks, or by using adjustable platform height shocks, such as Gaz, which also give the ability to set the rebound rate to suit each driver.
Good luck in your choice
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
I found the B6's on Britishparts for what appears to be a good price, certainly a lot cheaper than the Jaguar originals......
Probably like me ,you've been looking on the internet and there is plenty of information about these Bilstein B6 Sport/Performance shocks and how good they are.
I noticed that they say, these B6's fit all XJS's from 1975-96, so I assume they might be a worthwhile upgrade for non-Sportspack cars.
I am not too keen in getting the shocks that you have to experiment for comfort/sports feel and the need to adjust your ride-height.
If I do not hear to the contrary, then I will probably go all out for Bilstein B6's and swallow the £170 each x 6 !!
...
https://www.britishparts.co.uk/classic- ... rber-p8330
https://www.britishparts.co.uk/classic- ... rber-p8331
1995 4.0 Celebration Coupe in Sapphire
-
Jaguar5993

- Posts:134
- Joined:Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm
- Location:Petersfield
Re: 1994 4L Coupe suspension
Thanks so much Tris.
£78 each opposed to £167,so have ordered Front and Rears all in for £498.
I can store them until ready.
Cheers
£78 each opposed to £167,so have ordered Front and Rears all in for £498.
I can store them until ready.
Cheers
Nick W.
1995 XJS 6.0 V12 Coupe
1995 XJS 6.0 V12 Coupe
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest