Page 1 of 2
Front Springs
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:55 pm
by happycat
Hi I have a problem with front suspension where I think she is sitting too low,when driving down country lanes any slight dip or bump in the road causes the her to scrape the road under the engine! the previous owner has replaced the shocks and bushes but not springs,when you look underneath the engine there only seems to be 4-5 inches of clearance,I can get one and half fingers between top of wheel and wheel arch,the biggest problem seems that new springs are'nt available,I've seen packing rings advertised is it worth trying to use these to raise the front up?,I would think the front needs to come up by 1 1/2-2 inches, she sits quite evenly and there are no knocks or creeks.
Cheers Cliff
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:19 pm
by davidr
Hello Cliff,
I had to replace a front spring on my Celebration Convertible last week as it had broken and failed the MOT which was a nasty surprise! I managed to get a replacement second hand one from a friend. As you say, they're no longer available from Jaguar and I couldn't find that anyone was making a copy part.
In any case, I have found in the past that pattern springs aren't as good as the real thing. I put a set of pattern springs on the back of my V12 coupe and found them a bit hard. Then I tried a set of DB7 spec ones which I is as assured were the perfect compromise between ride and handling. Well I found those too harsh as well. I finally found a set of used genuine ones, cleaned them up and put them on with standard shocks and the old magic carpet was back! Moral of the story - Jaguar earned their reputation for brilliant suspensions because they knew what they were doing and you mess about with it at your peril!
Anyway, back to your issue. I can get 2 1/2 to 3 fingers between the tyre and wheel arch on my Celebration. I think yours does sound a bit low.
I would suggest finding some 2nd hand genuine springs from someone like Grublogger or Eurojiag who know what they're doing.
Hope that helps
Regards
David
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 pm
by dhdove
Cliff
Do you have a service manual? I believe that this gives the clearances. In this case I think it must be the front cross member that is grounding?
To be honest, four or five inches clearance under the engine cross member sounds about right, especially if the car is sitting level at rest.......maybe it is the shocks despite their being replaced? If they are the wrong spec or wrongly adjusted this would encourage bottoming out.
Otherwise, if not not the springs at fault, in the worst case you could have a problem with the front sub frame (cross member is part if this) geometry....ie corroded, cracked etc.....hope not!
You have, of course, checked the tyre pressures........
TonyS
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:22 pm
by almcl
This guy is said to be able to recondition original springs:
http://www.coilsprings.co.uk/
Haven't used him myself but reputed to have the original Jag specs and to be able to do any Brit car from the last 60 years...
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:35 pm
by happycat
Thanks guys for replys, yes I have checked tyre pressures

,no I don't have svc manual although I have been outbid 4 times on fleabay

I think shock absorbers wouldn't make any difference on ride height,and she does seem to sit lower than others i've seen, buying used springs is an option but how would I know they are any better? I going to Hungerford on Sunday I'll compare with others while i'm there,providing I don't scoop half the tarmac up off the M4 on the way

Cheers Cliff
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:07 pm
by davidr
Cliff,
My Celebration Convertible will be in the "Pride & Joy" at Littlecote and if you'd like to compare notes or take any measurements you'd be very welcome!
Regards
David
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:18 pm
by ptjs1
Cliff,
I know we're all looking for a bargain, but at £25, I wouldn't even consider running an XJS without the official parts and service manual. Compared to the original cost of the paper version at £130+, the DVD version is a bargain.
Good luck with the springs.
Paul
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:46 pm
by happycat
Cliff,
I know we're all looking for a bargain, but at £25, I wouldn't even consider running an XJS without the official parts and service manual. Compared to the original cost of the paper version at £130+, the DVD version is a bargain.
Good luck with the springs.
Paul
Hi Paul Where can I buy one of these DVD manuals? Cheers Cliff
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:07 pm
by ptjs1
Cliff,
You buy them from Jaguar. They are distributed by Jaguar Heritage. Use the link below for the one for your car:
http://www.jaguarheritage.org/Products/ ... m1143.aspx
Paul
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:29 pm
by happycat
Thanks for info DVD ordered

Re: Front Springs
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:38 pm
by oldtimer
Hi Cliff,
The XJS is only an XJ in new clothing
I have just had a read of the XJ manual and a look in the XJS parts book
The XJ has a ride height measured from the centre of the head lights to the ground, the XJS will have a similar instruction , surely somebody has that measurement in the book!
It goes on to say a packing ring is an 1/8 inch thick (3.18mm) and will vary the ride height by 5/16 of an inch (7.93mm)
It repeats twice in capitals. WARNING: A MAXIMUM OF THREE PACKERS MAY BE FITTED IN THE SPRING PAN AND TWO PACKERS ON THE CROSS MEMBER
Take into account that the XJS had a choice of engines v12 or straight 6 plus other consideration all of which will influence spring selection
Oldtimer
Ps Follow all the safety instructions - potentially a dangerous job
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:19 pm
by Brakebuster
the XJS is measured from the top of the wheel arches to the ground through the centre of the wheel ,
this is a given measurement for each year and engine size , also sport specification
there is one idocencrency , the V12 sport springs are the same as the 3.6 standard , go figure, lol
BB
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:36 pm
by oldtimer
Well Done BB,
Quick as a flash
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:57 pm
by ptjs1
Cliff,
Assuming the problem is not subframe corrosion etc, then ride height is a spring issue. If your springs have worn causing it to ride low, then I wouldn't fit spacers, I would replace the springs. You could phone David Marks (the club's xjs adviser) and ask where he sources xjs springs.
Good luck
Paul
Re: Front Springs
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:01 pm
by dhdove
Interesting problem this....
.....the OP states in his first post "she sits quite evenly" which I presume to mean that at rest the car is level and sits parallel to the ground, sills evenly levelled front to back. This would indicate that the front springs are not weak and unable to support the weight of the front of the car (at rest).
Hence I'm wondering since the problem is bottoming out on undulating roads whether the shocks are failing to damp the oscillations induced by the road surface?
I guess the springs could weaken and be level at rest but insufficient to carry the extra load from road undulations?
TonyS