I am replacing the radius arm bushes on my 1995 XJS 4.0. I have access to a 20 ton press and was hoping to just push out the bushes and fit a metalastic/polyurethane combination. The problem is we can't work out how to support the arm while we push out the bushes. We have a Sealey VS7026 kit which is pretty comprehensive but -
- At the body (front, large) end of the arm we don't have anything which will support the arm while pressing out the bush, and the metal around the outer rim is very thin so it looks like a special tool is required
- At the axle (rear, small) end of the arm the tool into which would support the arm can't fit squarely on the radius arm because the welding around the bush makes the surface too uneven (the car has Jaguar original radius arms).
I can't find a specific tool advertised anywhere but it must be possible to do this. I already have a set of bushes so I am reluctant to now buy the radius arms with bushes already installed as an assembly.
I see lots of posts about cutting out the bushes so am I chasing a lost cause and the the only solution is to cut out the rubber and then hacksaw/dremel cut the outer metal casing/rim of the bush to separate it from the arm?
Tool for removing bushes from radius arm
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: Tool for removing bushes from radius arm
I did mine a long time ago but I cut the old ones out, being very careful not to nick the arms themselves, be aware that there is a slight shoulder on the arms of the large ones so the bushes only come out, and go back in one way.
Pressing the new ones in is a breeze and use the opportunity to waxoyl or similar the interior of the arms while its possible to get fluid to both ends.
Pressing the new ones in is a breeze and use the opportunity to waxoyl or similar the interior of the arms while its possible to get fluid to both ends.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
