I had thought before why was this particular measurement chosen?
A train of thought is that it is a carry over from imperial measurement days when the depth was 1/16"
Now 1/16" is actually 1.588mm so to easily measure and err on the safe side, 1.6mm was chosen
Internet myth or fact, does anyone know?
1.6mm minimum legal tread depth - UK
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: 1.6mm minimum legal tread depth - UK
AFAIK it once was 1mm, then it got increased 'cos of US reports. And of course, US reports would use Imperial units, not metric, so indeed 1/16"=1.6mm is quite possible. Of course, I'm just adding to an Internet myth here. I doubt any politician/Health and Safety wonk would admit to adopting a standard by rounding up from Imperial units
.
It may be like 20 mph speed limits, where the proposers get ever more evangelical the less supporting evidence there is. I'm waiting for the return of a man with a red flag in front of every electric car.
It may be like 20 mph speed limits, where the proposers get ever more evangelical the less supporting evidence there is. I'm waiting for the return of a man with a red flag in front of every electric car.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: 1.6mm minimum legal tread depth - UK
I guess there needs to be a stated legal depth and of course there are other potential defects carrying penalties for none-compliance. !.6mm is not a lot of grip in snow or torrential rain. I would certainly change before getting own to the wear-marks.
I'm sure that 20mph speed limits have their place, and particularly in shared spaces. But really, introducing arbitrary limits where seemingly of little merit, you do wonder? Probably okay for electric cars but I cant even set the "speed control" to 20mph
We have had a recent 20mph zone put in on a section of the A2 (Rainham) in Kent. What seeks to be happening is the majority comply but then aggressive twat just makes it unpleasant for all (and probably more dangerous to boot).
Nick
I'm sure that 20mph speed limits have their place, and particularly in shared spaces. But really, introducing arbitrary limits where seemingly of little merit, you do wonder? Probably okay for electric cars but I cant even set the "speed control" to 20mph
We have had a recent 20mph zone put in on a section of the A2 (Rainham) in Kent. What seeks to be happening is the majority comply but then aggressive twat just makes it unpleasant for all (and probably more dangerous to boot).
Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
