Second question of the day.
I bought new stub axles and bearings. The car is on stands and the new brake discs fitted.
As I tighten the hub nut, it gets to a point where there is no more play - the disc will not rock at all. How much should I then back off the nut to get the right amount of play? What might the right amount of play feel like with the wheels removed? Barely detectable or more?
Thanks in advance
Simon
Front bearing play
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
-
simon291971449

- Posts:35
- Joined:Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:04 am
1991 4.0 auto coupe flamenco red
Re: Front bearing play
You definitely need some play - unlike more modern cars that use pre-loaded bearings, the old XJ series hubs need some slack to allow for thermal expansion. The book says to use a dial gauge to get 0.001-0.003" (0.03-0.08mm) float on facelift cars; AFAIR, in theory it's a bit more for older cars.
This is actually often quite difficult, as the roller bearings tend to wear a groove in the stub axle, which allows for a wobble top to bottom but not left to right. ... AFAIR it's about 1/2 a flat, but I don't have the necessary docs to hand to let me work it out. One flat is 1/6th of the pitch of the stub axle thread, so work from there.
This is actually often quite difficult, as the roller bearings tend to wear a groove in the stub axle, which allows for a wobble top to bottom but not left to right. ... AFAIR it's about 1/2 a flat, but I don't have the necessary docs to hand to let me work it out. One flat is 1/6th of the pitch of the stub axle thread, so work from there.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Front bearing play
I just know I'm going to hate myself for saying this. I think I'm correct that (without access to a dial gauge) the absolute maximum torque is 5 lbs. That said, when on something a little old, where there is wear I tend to tighten until I feel the hub beginning to bind and then wind it off a flat or two. There will, and needs to be, some play on these tapper roller bearings. Either way, too tight or too loose will damage them quite quickly.
I tend to inspect and grease on an annual basis when I'm looking at the discs and pads.
Nick
I tend to inspect and grease on an annual basis when I'm looking at the discs and pads.
Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests