Bottom front fulcrum shaft removal

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

simon291971449

Member
Posts:35
Joined:Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:04 am
Bottom front fulcrum shaft removal

Postby simon291971449 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:49 pm

Hi all. Dismantling of whole front suspension almost complete. After a lot of grief, I've managed to free off both front bottom fulcrum shafts. Nothing simple, though. They won't come out as the steering rack is in the way. I didn't anticipate having to remove the rack as part of suspension rebuild. I've already removed the gaiters. If I now remove the rods and maybe turn the steering, could I get the clearance needed to get the shafts out of the sub frame without having to remove the rack? Or is removing the rack part of this process? It's a '91 4.0. Advice much appreciated
Thanks!
1991 4.0 auto coupe flamenco red

simon291971449

Member
Posts:35
Joined:Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:04 am

Re: Bottom front fulcrum shaft removal

Postby simon291971449 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:35 am

In addition to the above, when investigating removal of track rods, I noticed there is a tab lock washer holding the rods to the main part of the rack. If I prise up the tabs to unscrew the rods, will I be able to reuse the washers? They are part no. JLM1458 and seem to be no longer available. Not wishing to do anything stupid! Many thanks. Simon
1991 4.0 auto coupe flamenco red

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Bottom front fulcrum shaft removal

Postby davidr » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi Simon - why are you reluctant to remove the rack?
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

simon291971449

Member
Posts:35
Joined:Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:04 am

Re: Bottom front fulcrum shaft removal

Postby simon291971449 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi David. Thanks for getting back. Stupidly, I hadn't even considered that I might have to remove the rack. Is it quite a straightforward process? I'd assume the steering column and power steering hoses need to come off first. Would it be sensible to replace the rack mounting bushes while I'm at it? I've heard it's one place where polyurethane is recommended. Advice gratefully received.
1991 4.0 auto coupe flamenco red

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Bottom front fulcrum shaft removal

Postby davidr » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:16 pm

Simon - taking the rack off shouldn't be too hard to do. Disconnect the steering rack pinch bolt and the two track rod ends, then the two hydraulic connections and then you can remove the bolts from the 3 mounts and pull the rack out.
You're absolutely right that this is a golden opportunity to replace the mounting bushes with polyurethane ones. They make the feel much better without adding any harshness and will last forever

simon291971449

Member
Posts:35
Joined:Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:04 am

Re: Bottom front fulcrum shaft removal

Postby simon291971449 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Thanks David. A big help. That's my plan, then. Possibly a silly question, but where is the pinch bolt?
1991 4.0 auto coupe flamenco red

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Bottom front fulcrum shaft removal

Postby ptjs1 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:44 pm

Simon,

Changing rack bushes is a good idea. However, I am 99.9% certain, I didn't remove the rack when my front suspension was done a few years back on my 4 litre. I'm pretty sure the fulcrum shafts came out with rack in situ. Perhaps it just needed the steering turned to give the clearance?

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Bottom front fulcrum shaft removal

Postby davidr » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:09 pm

The pinch bolt clamps the universal joint at the bottom of the steering column to the pinion shaft on the rack.

greeban

Member
Posts:252
Joined:Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Bottom front fulcrum shaft removal

Postby greeban » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:27 am

I removed mine recently, for both as Davidr says, I needed to drop the rack on each side and pop off the steering arm to allow access; the offside is slightly harder as had to undo the steering linkage pinch bolt to allow the rack to drop but all straightforward enough - I left the hoses in place and the rack just hangs down.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest