Page 1 of 1

PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:33 pm
by iRS
This is the story of PHU41R continued from: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12285&p=66758#p66758

Here's the rear suspension just after removing:
IMG_0157 copy.jpg
and the front and back:
IMG_0158 copy.jpg
and the front
IMG_0217 copy.jpg

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:37 pm
by iRS
The IRS was stripped easily enough and the frame sent for power coating. This is in good condition. Seen here with the one off my E-type, also powder coated at the same time.
IMG_0185 copy.jpg
I also decided to clean up the hubs and do the rear bearing, also at the same time as doing the E-type ones as I had borrowed the special tool off someone.

Here's one hub cleaned, the other still to do.
IMG_0310 copy.jpg


and the special tool in use....
IMG_0329 copy.jpg

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:40 pm
by iRS
...and the end float checked:
IMG_0330 copy.jpg
Next, was on to the front suspension. This is where the problems started:

Here's some of it in Airfix mode:
IMG_0337 copy.jpg
IMG_0338 copy.jpg

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:14 pm
by iRS
The first sub frame - the original one to the car - was too badly corroded to be able to use it and one of the fulcrum shaft was seized in.

This is the side that came out:
file.php.jpg
This is what it looks like now (you might just be able to see the end of the fulcrum shaft):
IMG_20171117_135618.jpg
Sub frame No. 2 is behind it. Also, note the patch welded to the sub frame No. 1. This was presumably done a long time ago.

This is the best picture I have of sub frame No. 2 before disassembly:
IMG_0366 copy.jpg

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:29 pm
by iRS
Unfortunately I paid quite a lot of money for this subframe (complete with all suspension components and steering rack and also paid a hefty price to get it moved up to Scotland. It appeared in reasonable condition:
IMG_0360 copy.jpg
IMG_0359 copy.jpg
IMG_0361 copy.jpg

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:35 pm
by iRS
.....but once stripped, it was apparent that it had been badly repaired. The metal used for repair was coke can thin and there even appeared to body filler disguising the repair.

Here's the worst repair:
IMG_0375 copy.jpg
and the same area with the repair metal removed:
IMG_0381 copy.jpg
Once shot blasted, other holes and repairs became apparent too. So this was a no-go.
IMG_0377 copy.jpg

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:43 pm
by iRS
Here's that same area of damage with the bad metal reduced back:
IMG_0382 copy.jpg

Luckily, I got hold of a third sub frame from a fellow club member in Aberdeen. This one was originally off a XJ6 S1 2.8 and although there was surface rust from sitting around for a long time in his garage, it turned out to be pretty solid.

Here it is before blasting, next to sub frame No. 2:
IMG_0411 copy.jpg
and here it is after Powder Coating:
IMG_20170905_140932 copy.jpg

Continued at: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=12287

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:02 pm
by J44EAG
Nice work, Roger.

Quite a struggle for you. Nice workshop facilities. Keep at it, Pal.

Mike

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:35 am
by ptjs1
Well done Roger,

I love seeing pics of components before and after!

Paul

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 pm
by davidr
Great stuff Roger - I feel another magazine article coming on!

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 6 - sub frame tribulations

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 am
by iRS
David,

Thanks. And thanks too to Paul and Mike. I can either condense these latest posts into a magazine article or I thought I could do a post/article on all the places I've found significant corrosion on the car. I feel this could be useful to other XJ-S owners as so much of what I have found is concealed behind trim and shielding etc. What do you think?

Cheers
Roger