I get an annoying light tinkling noise from somewhere near the left hand side near the rear and have never been able to locate the source. The UJ covers are very close to the exhaust pipes but don't show any rubbing or wear but I'm thinking of removing the covers to see if it makes any difference.
That got me thinking do I need the covers at all? Dirt gets in there anyway, inspection and cleaning of the joint is impossible and the prop shaft joints don't have covers. Now I'm sure Jaguar engineered them for a purpose but I can't think what the advantages would be.
Keep 'em or ditch 'em?
Half shaft UJ covers
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Half shaft UJ covers
I never refitted mine when I put her back on the road, and no detrimental effects can be seen from not using them , then again , its not average mileage im doing either
your car, your choice in the end
rattling could be something completely different though , like a stone in the covers , lol
BB
your car, your choice in the end
rattling could be something completely different though , like a stone in the covers , lol
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: Half shaft UJ covers
Like BB I never bothered to refit mine when I rebuilt the IRS on my V12. They just got in the way so they're still on my workshop floor!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Half shaft UJ covers
Thanks both, I removed them without trouble. I also noticed that the heat shield above the central part of the exhausts was slightly loose due to a self tapping screw working loose. They are quite big self tappers and I had nothing bigger so I tapped the hole out to 6mm metric and fitted a bolt.
I'm pleased to say the rattle has now gone, I expect it was the heat shield but as you say, no loss losing the joint covers. Having those hose clips whizzing around can't be good for balance either so good riddance
I'm pleased to say the rattle has now gone, I expect it was the heat shield but as you say, no loss losing the joint covers. Having those hose clips whizzing around can't be good for balance either so good riddance
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

