Don't forget to apply your Manners discount!
I nearly messed up when I pressed the radius arm bushes, due to a slight lip on the arms, the bushes have to come out and go back in the correct way.
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
I was totally confused about the Manners discount, but I called them and now understand.Don't forget to apply your Manners discount!
They've applied the trade discount to my account, but the prices are more because they've put their prices up a bit since I made my list of items. D'oh.
The total was over £300, but that did include a cooling fan and throttle position sensor so not too bad really.
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
My XJ-S suspension rebuild has been quiet for the past month or so, as I've been waiting for the weather to improve so I can paint all the parts I've stripped. Anybody following my YouTube channel, or reading the thread about my 'new' XK8 will know that I've been devoting a little bit of time to my other Jag and enjoying that, and also that I managed to prang my Mrs' BMW so, so I've also had to repair that as well. What a nightmare.
There is good news though, because I put aside today to get a coat of etch primer on everything:


Those are a few of the parts - the others are drying in my other garage over night. I decided to use Frost's gloss chassis black as the final finish and to achieve the best result, they recommended two stages of priming.
Tomorrow's itinerary is to get three coats of grey primer onto everything so that it can have a couple of days to dry, before the final coats of chassis black are applied on Friday. Re-assembly can then commence, hopefully in time to get it reassembled to be back on the road in May.
I think I've bought pretty much everything I need for re-assembly, there are just a couple of miscellaneous bits that I forgot which I'll pick up this week. I'll post more pics when the next paint stage is complete.
There is good news though, because I put aside today to get a coat of etch primer on everything:


Those are a few of the parts - the others are drying in my other garage over night. I decided to use Frost's gloss chassis black as the final finish and to achieve the best result, they recommended two stages of priming.
Tomorrow's itinerary is to get three coats of grey primer onto everything so that it can have a couple of days to dry, before the final coats of chassis black are applied on Friday. Re-assembly can then commence, hopefully in time to get it reassembled to be back on the road in May.
I think I've bought pretty much everything I need for re-assembly, there are just a couple of miscellaneous bits that I forgot which I'll pick up this week. I'll post more pics when the next paint stage is complete.
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Hi Simon,those parts are looking good.
Should be amazing when finished in the black.
Good luck with the other projects.
Take care.
Andy
.
Should be amazing when finished in the black.
Good luck with the other projects.
Take care.
Andy
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Simon,
Looking good! Just a suggestion, you might want to consider dispensing with the annoying riveted UJ shields, as many others have done. In my experience, they tend to vibrate, make a noise when loose, gather dirt and debris, and generally seem to add very little value, including making UJ access more difficult.
Cheers
Paul
Looking good! Just a suggestion, you might want to consider dispensing with the annoying riveted UJ shields, as many others have done. In my experience, they tend to vibrate, make a noise when loose, gather dirt and debris, and generally seem to add very little value, including making UJ access more difficult.
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Thanks for the replies, Gents 
Today was another full action-packed day of priming. It's surprising just how long it takes to get three coats of paint on all those parts, especially when you're spraying some one side at a time. I started at about 10am and finished just after 5:30. All the suspension parts now have one coat of etch primer and three coats of grey primer and now have two days to rest and cure before I spray them black on Friday, if the weather is conducive.


Yeah I did consider that as I'd noticed that other rebuilds don't bother with them, but I want to keep things as original-looking as possible, and after all the time I spent stripping the b*ggers, I'm going to use them! I've got some replacement Jubilee clips and will be using some small nyloc nuts and bolts to affix them so am hoping that I can avoid rattles. I can always take them off at a later date if they're troublesome.Just a suggestion, you might want to consider dispensing with the annoying riveted UJ shields....
Today was another full action-packed day of priming. It's surprising just how long it takes to get three coats of paint on all those parts, especially when you're spraying some one side at a time. I started at about 10am and finished just after 5:30. All the suspension parts now have one coat of etch primer and three coats of grey primer and now have two days to rest and cure before I spray them black on Friday, if the weather is conducive.


Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
It was a good day of XJ-S works today - I got all the black paint (well nearly all, ahem!) onto the suspension components. The weather was perfect for paint spraying and it dried pretty quickly, enabling me to get two or three coats on the parts.
https://youtu.be/rBSQ3lZNyUo
There's the latest roundup video.
https://youtu.be/rBSQ3lZNyUo
There's the latest roundup video.
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
In the last week, I've completed re-finishing all the suspension parts, and today, the first parts were reassembled.

Final coat of chassis black

Some of the parts drying in the workshop - also evident is one of the new stainless exhaust silencers from Simply Performance.

The first bit of reassembly. I resealed the diff end cover and have now torqued the new bolts up to 27 NM as per the Haynes Manual. Then I attached the bottom fulcrum brackets, with the shim back in its original location.
That's all I had time for today - but it's progress for sure.

Final coat of chassis black

Some of the parts drying in the workshop - also evident is one of the new stainless exhaust silencers from Simply Performance.

The first bit of reassembly. I resealed the diff end cover and have now torqued the new bolts up to 27 NM as per the Haynes Manual. Then I attached the bottom fulcrum brackets, with the shim back in its original location.
That's all I had time for today - but it's progress for sure.
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Great work Simon, looks good!
Be careful not to overtighten those cover plate bolts. The figure is 20.5 - 27.0 Nm. I'm not sure which workshop manual you're using, I didn't think there was a Haynes manual for the XJS?
Cheers
Paul
Be careful not to overtighten those cover plate bolts. The figure is 20.5 - 27.0 Nm. I'm not sure which workshop manual you're using, I didn't think there was a Haynes manual for the XJS?
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Thanks Paul - yeah, I exercised caution - those alloy castings don't have a lot of bend in them, eh?
The Haynes I'm using is number 478: Jaguar Daimler XJ12 and Sovereign (1972 to 1988), XJS (1975 to 1985).
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266189777229
I figured that the IRS will be the same in terms of torque settings and other technical aspects.
I'm used to having to do this because there's not a Haynes for the MG Maestro 2.0EFi, but there is one for the Montego with the same engine and drive train. Most of the info there is applicable to both cars... I think the next job after getting the XJ-S back together will be to recommission one of my Maestros.
The Haynes I'm using is number 478: Jaguar Daimler XJ12 and Sovereign (1972 to 1988), XJS (1975 to 1985).
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266189777229
I figured that the IRS will be the same in terms of torque settings and other technical aspects.
I'm used to having to do this because there's not a Haynes for the MG Maestro 2.0EFi, but there is one for the Montego with the same engine and drive train. Most of the info there is applicable to both cars... I think the next job after getting the XJ-S back together will be to recommission one of my Maestros.
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Hi Simon,I love following this thread,such enthusiasm.
By the look of your parts there,the spraying went very well.
Good luck with the re-assembly.
Take care.
Andy
By the look of your parts there,the spraying went very well.
Good luck with the re-assembly.
Take care.
Andy
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Simon,
A Haynes manual that partially covers a V12 XJS is fine up to a point. But with all the work you're doing, I wouldn't trust anything other than the proper Jaguar workshop manual for your 3.6! It's easy enough to source online.
Good luck
Paul
A Haynes manual that partially covers a V12 XJS is fine up to a point. But with all the work you're doing, I wouldn't trust anything other than the proper Jaguar workshop manual for your 3.6! It's easy enough to source online.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Thanks for the replies Andy and Paul - I've got the Jaguar workshop manual open at the relevant page now. It was in the house yesterday and I was too lazy to go and get it!
I had a very therapeutic morning squaring up my workshop so that I could get ready to start putting it back together in earnest. That left a few hours this afternoon to fit new brake discs with the shims either side of them, get the callipers back on the diff and lockwire the fulcrum bracket bolts under the diff. I also fitted the exhaust brackets into the suspension cage, along with the Vee mounts. It's really satisfying to be putting everything back together with new or re-plated hardware.
I also got a delivery of £70 worth of Castrol LSD oil to put in the diff.
Here's a video I took with everything laid out prior to starting the re-assembly: https://youtu.be/Wf5VqP928Ws
The progress today:

The only issue I've got at the moment is that I can't seem to get the handbrake to work as it seems to be firmly clamped to the brake disc, but hopefully once all the springs are back in place it'll sort itself out.
I had a very therapeutic morning squaring up my workshop so that I could get ready to start putting it back together in earnest. That left a few hours this afternoon to fit new brake discs with the shims either side of them, get the callipers back on the diff and lockwire the fulcrum bracket bolts under the diff. I also fitted the exhaust brackets into the suspension cage, along with the Vee mounts. It's really satisfying to be putting everything back together with new or re-plated hardware.
I also got a delivery of £70 worth of Castrol LSD oil to put in the diff.
Here's a video I took with everything laid out prior to starting the re-assembly: https://youtu.be/Wf5VqP928Ws
The progress today:

The only issue I've got at the moment is that I can't seem to get the handbrake to work as it seems to be firmly clamped to the brake disc, but hopefully once all the springs are back in place it'll sort itself out.
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Great work Simon!
It may be worth you looking through Greg's observations on the inboard handbrake before you reinstall. Read through the whole thread. See here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs- ... nt-148450/
Paul
It may be worth you looking through Greg's observations on the inboard handbrake before you reinstall. Read through the whole thread. See here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs- ... nt-148450/
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Rebuilding XJ-S suspension... Rear First.
Thanks Paul - that was a useful read. if I suffer the same issues as Greg did with the pads becoming detached then I'll stitch them in place with a countersunk screw. I'm hoping I will be OK as I ended up buying the expensive OEM Jaguar handbrake pads. Time will tell!
I also think I've resolved the issue I was experiencing with the handbrake callipers - as soon as the brake disc was clamped in place by the driveshafts it centralised OK they seem to work fine. I adjusted the long screw adjuster by screwing it in until there was zero play in the clamping action of the lever and then backing it off by half a turn before putting the split pin back in. Does that sound like a reasonable approach? I still have to torque the retaining bolts down and bend up the locktabs.
I've had a productive full shift in the workshop today and have made reasonable progress - it took me a while to get the inner fulcrums set up correctly with the thrust washers/grease seals and spacer tubes, but patience and a gentle few taps with a rubber mallet got everything lined up correctly.
I used thinners to wash out all the brake lines and bearings and then packed (probably over-packed) all the bearings with red tacky grease which aided assembly. Although I'd made comprehensive notes, I still managed to use the wrong washers on the radius arm mounting bolts that go into the wishbones so they'll have to come off again tomorrow for me to swap them around. I'm hoping that maybe if I put in another good stint tomorrow, it should be very close to completion.



I also think I've resolved the issue I was experiencing with the handbrake callipers - as soon as the brake disc was clamped in place by the driveshafts it centralised OK they seem to work fine. I adjusted the long screw adjuster by screwing it in until there was zero play in the clamping action of the lever and then backing it off by half a turn before putting the split pin back in. Does that sound like a reasonable approach? I still have to torque the retaining bolts down and bend up the locktabs.
I've had a productive full shift in the workshop today and have made reasonable progress - it took me a while to get the inner fulcrums set up correctly with the thrust washers/grease seals and spacer tubes, but patience and a gentle few taps with a rubber mallet got everything lined up correctly.
I used thinners to wash out all the brake lines and bearings and then packed (probably over-packed) all the bearings with red tacky grease which aided assembly. Although I'd made comprehensive notes, I still managed to use the wrong washers on the radius arm mounting bolts that go into the wishbones so they'll have to come off again tomorrow for me to swap them around. I'm hoping that maybe if I put in another good stint tomorrow, it should be very close to completion.



Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
