Please can I have a photo or description of your car's outer fulcrums?

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm
Please can I have a photo or description of your car's outer fulcrums?

Postby SimonR » Sun May 14, 2023 6:59 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I've done wrong with the reassembly of my outer fulcrums on the rear suspension. I made notes when I took it all apart but, as it sometimes the case, I didn't make a comprehensive enough record of what came off the outer fulcrums.

Here's how I have it reassembled:

Front Side:
Image

Back Side:
Image

I thought I'd got the shims (i.e. the big penny washers) in the right place, however, the tapered ends of the shafts on both sides stick out past the ends of the wishbone clamps so the shims stand proud of them, which can't be right. I also noticed that the tie down bracket appears to be aligned by the inner fulcrum shaft (the one that holds the bottom of the shocks in place) and suggests that I've somehow not got enough shimming on the outer fulcrum as there's a gap, even with a shim in there. It could well be that I've not assembled the inner fulcrum correctly!

I'd be really grateful if somebody could have a look at their car (mine's a pre-facelift one) and tell me how it should be - the Jag and Haynes manuals both have exploded diagrams of the IRS, but do not show exactly how that bit goes back together.

Many thanks for any help - this is the last conundrum I need to solve prior to getting the IRS back under the car!

Simon R.

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Please can I have a photo or description of your car's outer fulcrums?

Postby ptjs1 » Sun May 14, 2023 11:51 pm

Simon,

Did you assemble the wishbone inner fulcrums as per the Jaguar manual using dummy shafts? The workshop manual seems to lay out the procedure and order of all the parts pretty clearly, apart from any specific spacers that may be fitted to each car.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Please can I have a photo or description of your car's outer fulcrums?

Postby poprivet » Mon May 15, 2023 7:16 am

I can't add much except that to say the Haynes manual (V12) has a more detailed explanation of how it goes together and setting the bearing pre-load etc then the Jaguar manual.

It also has, although poor quality, a photo of the hub fully assembled.

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: Please can I have a photo or description of your car's outer fulcrums?

Postby SimonR » Tue May 16, 2023 10:34 am

Thanks for the replies, gents. Yeah, I assembled the inner fulcrums with dummy shafts, which the real shaft then pushed through when I installed it. I'm happy with how that went back together, and aside from new rubber seals, it's all exactly back as it was.

I didn't remove the bearings from the outer fulcrums in the hubs - all I did was clean them thoroughly with thinners, install new felt seals and then put them back exactly how I found them, so I'm happy that everything is in order in that respect.

The bit that I didn't make adequate notes about is how the large washers and tie down brackets go back on the shafts.

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: Please can I have a photo or description of your car's outer fulcrums?

Postby SimonR » Tue May 16, 2023 3:27 pm

Slightly embarrasingly, I've worked out what I did wrong.

It's an absolute screamer of an error, but no harm done - I've swapped a couple of things around and now my notes make sense, and everything goes back as it should.

I'm currently raising the assembly back up into the car.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests