Page 1 of 1

Steering rack reinforcing bracket

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:21 pm
by Carnut72
Hi all,

Following on from refurbishing my '83 HE front suspension and steering, I have fitted poly bushes to the steering rack.
I have found upon reassembly, that the reinforcing bracket do not slide easily over the bushes.
Just in case I have got it wrong, the bracket fits on the drivers side with the thick end of the bracket upwards. Is this correct?
Also, is the bracket required? There were no instructions in the bush kit!

Many thanks in advance,

Mitch

Re: Steering rack reinforcing bracket

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:49 pm
by davidr
Mitch - do you mean this assembly?
image.jpg

Re: Steering rack reinforcing bracket

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:38 pm
by Carnut72
Hi,
Yes, it is item 1 on the diagram.
I have trial installed the bracket with the 'thicker' walled section uppermost.
Is this correct? I have also deleted the shims as I understand that the poly bushes do not require them?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Re: Steering rack reinforcing bracket

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:30 am
by Carnut72
If all else fails, I will remove the extra bonded washer and fit it without. :D

Re: Steering rack reinforcing bracket

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:19 pm
by Carnut72
I removed the washer to reduce the bracket thickness as it was too wide with the poly bushes.

As you can see it now fits perfectly!
IMG_1387.JPG
Washer removed-just some paint to touch up required