Flummoxed best describes this one. My steering has begun to present a "creaking, groining" when being turned. Maybe extra hot today (doubt it). It's not fluid or pump related. I'm guessing the up on the steering Column but has anyone else come across such a thing?
Nick
Steering making creeking noise
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: Steering making creeking noise
My V12 does it occasionally. I've come to accept it as one of the idiosyncrasies of an old lady!!
I've no doubt that there's a slightly worn or dry bush somewhere in the steering column but it doesn't bother me that much.
However, if you find an easy fix let me know!!
I've no doubt that there's a slightly worn or dry bush somewhere in the steering column but it doesn't bother me that much.
However, if you find an easy fix let me know!!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Steering making creeking noise
Will do David - May just be it's been so hot last few days 
I only noticed after replacing a front outer wheel bearing earlier today. In no way connected, but just a coincidence perhaps.
Nick
I only noticed after replacing a front outer wheel bearing earlier today. In no way connected, but just a coincidence perhaps.
Nick
Re: Steering making creeking noise
Nick,
I assume you say it's not pump-related 'cos it's there when the motor's not running (otherwise I'd suggest a low fluid level causing air in the system). Actually, it could still be air in the system, as turning the wheel pumps fluid (and air, if any) from the rack around the system.
If it is down to the column, it might be the knuckle joint; it suffers from a lot of exhaust pipe heat (particularly if the heat shield is missing). Mine seized solid, causing a "bump" on turning lock to lock, though no noise. It's an integral part of the lower steering shaft, and AFAIK it's no longer available. If it is the problem, you might find one in a breaker's yard, otherwise kit-car component suppliers sell knuckle joints that could be welded on as a replacement, provided you know a really good welder. (The thought of a bad weld breaking at speed ...)
Other possibilities include virtually every front suspension bush, as turning the wheel will cause small changes in position in most of them, starting obviously with track rod ends and anti-roll bar bushes.
I assume you say it's not pump-related 'cos it's there when the motor's not running (otherwise I'd suggest a low fluid level causing air in the system). Actually, it could still be air in the system, as turning the wheel pumps fluid (and air, if any) from the rack around the system.
If it is down to the column, it might be the knuckle joint; it suffers from a lot of exhaust pipe heat (particularly if the heat shield is missing). Mine seized solid, causing a "bump" on turning lock to lock, though no noise. It's an integral part of the lower steering shaft, and AFAIK it's no longer available. If it is the problem, you might find one in a breaker's yard, otherwise kit-car component suppliers sell knuckle joints that could be welded on as a replacement, provided you know a really good welder. (The thought of a bad weld breaking at speed ...)
Other possibilities include virtually every front suspension bush, as turning the wheel will cause small changes in position in most of them, starting obviously with track rod ends and anti-roll bar bushes.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
-
Architective
- Posts:11
- Joined:Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:19 pm
Re: Steering making creeking noise
I had this groaning noise from my power steering but I topped up the power steering fluid and it stopped immediately. Unfortunately the reason why it was low is because I have a leak from the power steering system so I will now have to get this sorted.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

