I have a 1999 S-type. It has radio cassette player in the dash and a CD button but no CD player. It has the optional extra sat-nav system with the equipment in the boot.
I understand that when new there was an option of a multi-changer CD system with the changer/player located in the glovebox.
Is it possible to retrofit this system easily? I have seen changers for sale on eBay from breakers at quite reasonable prices. Would I be correct in assuming that the wiring is in situ as there is a CD button already on the radio/cassette console?
Has anyone carried this out?
Retro Fitting a CD Player
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
Re: Retro Fitting a CD Player
To my knowledge, the CD player was always fitted in the boot on the near side. I`ve never seen one fitted in the glove compartment.
Original equipment will be easily sourced from a good breaker for relatively moderate costs. have your Vin number to hand. Once a suitable unit is to hand, fitment should be a simple plug and play operation as you will find the car prewired for the installation.
Best advice would be to avoid fitting anything other than original equipment. The car is electronically sensitive and disappointment can easily result if trying to plumb up alternative equipment which may not have the appropriate electronic protocol built in.
Most cars were fitted with boot located six stacker CD units from the factory. As yours appears to be missing, I`m tempted to surmise that someone has either taken the original unit for fitment into another car or more likely the original has failed and a replacement never been fitted.
Hoe that helps.
Mike
Original equipment will be easily sourced from a good breaker for relatively moderate costs. have your Vin number to hand. Once a suitable unit is to hand, fitment should be a simple plug and play operation as you will find the car prewired for the installation.
Best advice would be to avoid fitting anything other than original equipment. The car is electronically sensitive and disappointment can easily result if trying to plumb up alternative equipment which may not have the appropriate electronic protocol built in.
Most cars were fitted with boot located six stacker CD units from the factory. As yours appears to be missing, I`m tempted to surmise that someone has either taken the original unit for fitment into another car or more likely the original has failed and a replacement never been fitted.
Hoe that helps.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Retro Fitting a CD Player
Hi Mike and Equalizer,
this rang bells so had a look in the digital Technical manual and found this
Audio Steering Wheel Controls
A. Audio mute and voice activation
B. Volume control
C. Radio waveband, cassette tape player and CD
tape player selection
D. Tuning/seek control:
Radio, steps through preset stations
Cassette, seeks tracks
CD, selects desired track
Premium Sound System
The Premium Sound System components differ to
the base system as follows:
¥ The head unit has the additional feature of
Digital Sound Processing (DSP) to enhance
sound quality
¥ Four enclosed 5in x 7in (127mm x 178mm)
two way door speakers, modular cassette type
¥ Two active center fill speakers (with amplifier)
¥ Active sub-woofer enclosure mounted under
the rear parcel shelf containing two subwoofers
5in x 7in (127mm x 178mm) and a
sub-woofer amplifier
¥ CD Changer (six disc) in the glovebox (Dealer
fit trunk position is optional).
It seems early cars had the CD unit in the top half of the glove box, our car is mid 2000 and has room in a casing on the left hand side of the boot.
There is also a reference to the protocols used to link the various units to the ariel unit (heated rear screen), CD changer, cell phone and cassette unit in the dash, so as usual just fitting and wiring the unit in isn't enough the ECU's have to be set up by a dealer to recognise and accept the input from the CD changer.
There is bound to be a way around this now but as you say Mike if not done properly it could upset other parts of the electronics.
I'm getting to be a right anorak with this stuff!
Best Wishes
Brian
this rang bells so had a look in the digital Technical manual and found this
Audio Steering Wheel Controls
A. Audio mute and voice activation
B. Volume control
C. Radio waveband, cassette tape player and CD
tape player selection
D. Tuning/seek control:
Radio, steps through preset stations
Cassette, seeks tracks
CD, selects desired track
Premium Sound System
The Premium Sound System components differ to
the base system as follows:
¥ The head unit has the additional feature of
Digital Sound Processing (DSP) to enhance
sound quality
¥ Four enclosed 5in x 7in (127mm x 178mm)
two way door speakers, modular cassette type
¥ Two active center fill speakers (with amplifier)
¥ Active sub-woofer enclosure mounted under
the rear parcel shelf containing two subwoofers
5in x 7in (127mm x 178mm) and a
sub-woofer amplifier
¥ CD Changer (six disc) in the glovebox (Dealer
fit trunk position is optional).
It seems early cars had the CD unit in the top half of the glove box, our car is mid 2000 and has room in a casing on the left hand side of the boot.
There is also a reference to the protocols used to link the various units to the ariel unit (heated rear screen), CD changer, cell phone and cassette unit in the dash, so as usual just fitting and wiring the unit in isn't enough the ECU's have to be set up by a dealer to recognise and accept the input from the CD changer.
There is bound to be a way around this now but as you say Mike if not done properly it could upset other parts of the electronics.
I'm getting to be a right anorak with this stuff!
Best Wishes
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
-
Equalizer
Re: Retro Fitting a CD Player
Hi! Thanks for the replies. This car is to my knowledge totally original. Looking at the original 1999 brochure and options list a CD changer was available but not standard, like wise satnav. Obviously the first owner opted for satnav. This means I have the screen in the centre console unit where the base models have a drawer for cassettes. IN the boot where a cd changer normally would be is the housing for the cd base unit for the satnav. The glovebox interior looks like it is designed to take a housing to the right of the owners manual slot and this corroborates with the brochure pictures.
I haven't poked around in the car yet, but I was assuming that the basic wiring was already in place given these were options, as I wouldn't have thought looms would be messed about with on demand along the production line, so my assumption is based on a loom holding within it all possibilities for every accessory and these can be plugged in as required during production.
I must admit I hadn't thought of the integration with the other electrics. Out of curiosity I tried pressing the CD button on the stereo and it merely said 'No Disc'.....would this suggest that if I could source an original glovebox mounted jaguar made cd unit, it should pick it up without re-course to re-programming anything......?
Its not a big deal as worse case I can just by a cd walkman and a cd to tape converter lead, but this would be a pain and look scruffy. Short term I am happy to listen to the V6!
I haven't poked around in the car yet, but I was assuming that the basic wiring was already in place given these were options, as I wouldn't have thought looms would be messed about with on demand along the production line, so my assumption is based on a loom holding within it all possibilities for every accessory and these can be plugged in as required during production.
I must admit I hadn't thought of the integration with the other electrics. Out of curiosity I tried pressing the CD button on the stereo and it merely said 'No Disc'.....would this suggest that if I could source an original glovebox mounted jaguar made cd unit, it should pick it up without re-course to re-programming anything......?
Its not a big deal as worse case I can just by a cd walkman and a cd to tape converter lead, but this would be a pain and look scruffy. Short term I am happy to listen to the V6!
Re: Retro Fitting a CD Player
Equalizer
just noticed in January Magazine, under Parts for Sale on page 134. "Genuine S-Type CD magazine cartridge. New £20. Maybe a call could locate you a player as well.
Hope this might be of use to you.
Gordon
just noticed in January Magazine, under Parts for Sale on page 134. "Genuine S-Type CD magazine cartridge. New £20. Maybe a call could locate you a player as well.
Hope this might be of use to you.
Gordon
XJ6 X350 Sovereign
Chairman. Doncaster and District Region
Email. doncaster.district@gmail.com
Previous Jaguars.
XJ8 Sovereign in Seafrost
S Type in Red
Chairman. Doncaster and District Region
Email. doncaster.district@gmail.com
Previous Jaguars.
XJ8 Sovereign in Seafrost
S Type in Red
-
Equalizer
Re: Retro Fitting a CD Player
Thanks for the heads up! I am leaving it until the monsoon season stops and I can get in and have a proper nosey round the interior in daylight and the dry.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

