Run it on gas?

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
Gordon@1962
Posts:186
Joined:Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:41 pm
Location:Hull
Run it on gas?

Postby Gordon@1962 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:32 pm

I'm just curious if any of our members have an XJ-S running on Gas?

If you have how much space has the tank taken up in the boot?
I'm toying with the idea of some time in the future having it done, so it would be good to hear from any experiences.

thanks, :wink:

User avatar
Gordon@1962
Posts:186
Joined:Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:41 pm
Location:Hull

Postby Gordon@1962 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:51 pm

I've still been searching the Internet for some photos of how people fit the tank for the LPG in the boot.
I've only managed to find one up to now.

http://www.razey.karoo.net/images/LPG.jpg

Not a lot of room left!! :cry:
XJ-S Coupe 1991
[url=http://www.jec-xjs-forum.org.uk/xjsbb2/gallery/xjs-show-galentry.php?galentry=280_3][color=blue][b][u]My Gallery Photos[/b][/u][/color][/url]

User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire

Gas Conversion

Postby dhdove » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:46 pm

Thats Horrendous :shock:
Alternatively............
Ditch the spare wheel, carry a can of "run-flat inflation stuff" (no good if you rip the tyre, will only "fix" common or garden punctures). :?
Replace spare with round spare wheel type gas tank.
Blaze Gas Conversions at Kemble Airfield where I work do a lot of Range Rovers and Jags (mainly saloons inc. V12) and have featured on "Men and Motors".
I know them and they know what they're doing..........perhaps an enquiry would answer some of your questions? 01285 770909
HOWEVER, I think you have to look at the mathematics involved...
Let's say gas is about half the price of unleaded (roughly) so you'll save half of your costs per litre ie about 40p. The installation will cost, I guess about £1000.00, so you'll have to save that £1000,00 over the mileage that you do annually over however many years till you even get your money back.
Also, expect large tax rises on LPG in the future from our current (prudent?????) Chancellor and future leader :twisted: as LPG becomes a more popular loophole.
It very much depends how many miles you do and how long you intend to keep the car to justify the outlay in the first place........just a thought :wink:
Best Wishes
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Postby ptjs1 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:43 pm

Gordon,

I converted my 3.9 Range Rover about 6 1/2 years ago. Best thing I ever did! However, at the time, LPG garages were pretty scarce so I went for the biggest tank I could find and obviously lost a lot of boot space. If I was doing it now with all the LPG garages around, I'd install a toroidal (do'nut-shaped) tank in place of spare wheel. After all, when did you last ever need a spare wheel? You can always carry a can of aerosol stuff, as suggested.

The maths are pretty easy to do but you have a number of variables. As a rough indication, assume converison = £1500 and petrol = 86.9p per litre and gas = 45p per litre and car does 26mpg on petrol and car does 23mpg on gas then payback = 20,000 miles. After that it's half-price fuel or the equivalent of 47.5 mpg.

Although you might theoretically lose a bit of power and consmption, modern LPG systems all use multi-point injectors and you might lose nothing, certainly nothing that you can feel. People talk about losing 5% of power at the top end of the rev range. I bet none of us would notice that in normal driving. I can't tell the difference at all in my Range Rover, if anything it runs slightly smoother on LPG. Also, the oil comes out the same colour it went in, and spark plugs seem to last indefinitely.

Why haven't I done to my XJS? Frankly, it's not worth it - I don't do sufficient miles in it and I also try and keep it as standard as possible. If I did a lot of miles, I'd definitely consider it. Will the tax freeze last? Who knows? If everyone converted, then the govt would undoubtedly up the duty big time. The reality is that takeup of LPg is still tiny and the lost duty is minimal to the govt and a nice PR hit at the moment, so long may it continue.

If I was you, I would read everything I could on the subject about the different systems. Really there are only three or four big players out there. I'd then make sure I found a conversion garage that really knows their stuff. I know a couple of good people in Kent but that's about it.

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

User avatar
Gordon@1962
Posts:186
Joined:Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:41 pm
Location:Hull

Postby Gordon@1962 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks Guys, some interesting points there. :P

To be honest if I think back I can't really remember the last time I used a spare on any of my cars, so that could be well worth investigating. :idea:
XJ-S Coupe 1991
[url=http://www.jec-xjs-forum.org.uk/xjsbb2/gallery/xjs-show-galentry.php?galentry=280_3][color=blue][b][u]My Gallery Photos[/b][/u][/color][/url]

User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire

Who ate a dictionary?

Postby dhdove » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Toroidal eh?
Round spare wheel type gas tank seemed ok to me :cry:
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

User avatar
Gordon@1962
Posts:186
Joined:Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:41 pm
Location:Hull

Run it on gas?

Postby Gordon@1962 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:29 pm

Well I finally did it. :twisted:
Had my car converted to LPG and look the same boot space! 8)

http://www.razey.karoo.net/images/lpg-boot.jpg

XJ-S Coupe 1991
[url=http://www.jec-xjs-forum.org.uk/xjsbb2/gallery/xjs-show-galentry.php?galentry=280_3][color=blue][b][u]My Gallery Photos[/b][/u][/color][/url]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests