Petrol/gas smell in the boot/trunk
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:49 pm
Hi guys, it’s my first post. (Mark needs some company here!)
I’d grown accustomed to the whiff of fuel every time I opened the boot/trunk of my 1987 XJS 3.6 Coupe. There had always been a trace of it from new! Last week, I noticed things had got a lot worse. The inside of the car filled with a fuel smell and when I checked the boot-well, there was a small pool of fuel just under the fuel sump tank. OK, tools at the ready, I’m on the trail of the leak. I’ve drained the tank – not that I could get the drain plug to shift! All hoses seem OK. I’ve got the pump out – seems OK. I’m now looking at the sump tank. I’m going to try pressure testing it this week. There’s some pitting in the base but I can’t see that a pinhole here could be the whole story. The main tank looks perfect and I’ve never ever seen any water in the boot-well or suspected that the rear screen leaks. I also can’t see how any fuel would have run from it to the well without leaving a trail. I’d really like some pointers for next weekend: Do I need to get the main tank out to get to the bottom of this? So to speak!
I’d grown accustomed to the whiff of fuel every time I opened the boot/trunk of my 1987 XJS 3.6 Coupe. There had always been a trace of it from new! Last week, I noticed things had got a lot worse. The inside of the car filled with a fuel smell and when I checked the boot-well, there was a small pool of fuel just under the fuel sump tank. OK, tools at the ready, I’m on the trail of the leak. I’ve drained the tank – not that I could get the drain plug to shift! All hoses seem OK. I’ve got the pump out – seems OK. I’m now looking at the sump tank. I’m going to try pressure testing it this week. There’s some pitting in the base but I can’t see that a pinhole here could be the whole story. The main tank looks perfect and I’ve never ever seen any water in the boot-well or suspected that the rear screen leaks. I also can’t see how any fuel would have run from it to the well without leaving a trail. I’d really like some pointers for next weekend: Do I need to get the main tank out to get to the bottom of this? So to speak!