Fuel Pump

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern
Fuel Pump

Postby MichaelSB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Can anyone tell me where the fuel pump is on a 1995 Celebration Convertible 4.0L ?

And any tips on removal and replacement please.

Thanks
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby davidr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 pm

It is immersed in the tank. Never changed one on a late XJS myself although I have changed both the in-tank ones on my XKR and the external one on my V12 XJ-S.
I suspect that you will have to take the tank out to get to it and that changing the pump will be the easy bit - getting the tank out and back in will be the pita!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby Tintin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:57 am

Michael

The workshop manual gives a detailed description of replacement- well worth getting a copy if you are going to work on the car yourself. They are available via various on line sources - one copied below at random.

https://manuals.co/workshop/jaguar/xjs

Good luck.

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby MichaelSB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Well I did download a manual but it has 4600 pages and no index so I still don’t know where my fuel pump is located or how to change it.
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby Tintin » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:13 am

Page 19.1-14 operation 19.45.08

R
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

User avatar
Andy P

Member
Posts:960
Joined:Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am
Location:Plymouth,Devon,U.K. J.E.C.Member

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby Andy P » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:18 am

Hi MichaelSB,
This thread might be of interest to you :) :
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs- ... ma-205197/
Good Luck.
Andy :D
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby MichaelSB » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi Guys

My manual section 19 doesn’t seem to conver the Convertible only coupe and cabriolet, the article was a very interesting read but I think I need to find a better manual.
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

greeban

Member
Posts:252
Joined:Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby greeban » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:25 pm

I replaced mine a while back as car was just stopping - turned out to be the new mass air flow meter I had bought but that is another story!

I remember I had to drain the tank and disconnect the fuel lines from underneath so I could move the tank into the boot to access the pump cover on the top. For some reason I could not remove the tank completely - something was attached but I could not find it and the manual did not help, however I was able to move it enough to replace the pump. Hope this helps?

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby MichaelSB » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:01 pm

I have just got back from spares day as I was hoping to find a workshop manual supplement to cover my AJ16 powered Celebration Convertible, I have some kind of fuel issue and although I am considering replacing the fuel pump it looks like a pig of a job on my model so I want to explore other possible issues first.
Unfortunately without the guidance of a manual for my car I am fishing in the dark, I was repeatedly told at spares day there isn’t a AJ16 manual .
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby Tintin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:42 am

I have some kind of fuel issue
What are your symptoms then?

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby MichaelSB » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi Robbie
The car randomly starts to hesitate when cruising as if it is starved of fuel, the revs don’t drop and she keeps running
Michael
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby davidr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Michael - have you changed the fuel filter? If not I would try that first before diving in to the fuel pump.
Filter is fairly easy to change and cheap! It's under the front passenger wheel arch. Here's a link to my Winter Maintenance article from last December where I changed mine.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12439&sid=ecd681dd ... d3dc797f7e

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby MichaelSB » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi David
Yes I have replaced the fuel filter and like you suggest I will only do the pump as a last resort as it looks a pig of a job.
I am thinking of replacing simpler items such as fuel pressure regulator and any other fuel related items I can find to see if I get lucky
Michael
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby davidr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Are you sure it's fuel related? Have you tested the fuel pressure?
From what you describe it might possibly be the crank position sensor on the way out? Their usual failure is fairly abrupt but sometimes they give you a warning.

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby MichaelSB » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi David
I should have mentioned earlier this year I replaced the crank position sensor and all the could packs and plugs
Michael
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests