Page 1 of 1
Fuel odour in boot?
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:41 pm
by Mackie
Been reading this is quite common with the XJS and I'm getting it with mine. Guessing I need to pull the spare wheel out and check the various leads from the tank to check for leakage?
Re: Fuel odour in boot?
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:03 pm
by steve_m
Yep!
Also check the over axle pipes where they exit the boot; I had a perished hose there.
A common spot is directly under the tank where it rubs on a rivet head but that requires the full tank removal to sort.
I would disconnect the battery before prodding about in there.
Re: Fuel odour in boot?
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:06 pm
by Brakebuster
as Steve said, could be one ( or more ) of many known issues
this is how I did mine the other year
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9444&hilit=fuel+tank
BB
Re: Fuel odour in boot?
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm
by Mackie
That sort of job is going to beyond my ken (and toolbox), BB, but I will check the various leads, etc., after disconnecting the battery. If not, I'll add it to the list when I visit The Jag Workshop.
Re: Fuel odour in boot?
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:19 pm
by ChrisDixon
Strange, my fuel odour has diminished after the car has not been used much, and did not return after a long run at the weekend. But what did return was the fuel pump whine. I wonder if perhaps the two are related?
Re: Fuel odour in boot?
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:42 pm
by Brakebuster
fuel pumps can make noise for two reasons,
one , the pump is FUBAR and needs replacing
second, the pump is experiencing restricted flow, either pulling from the sump tank , or pushing to the engine end , change the external filter, and remove and clean the under battery sump tank , the pickup tube has a fine mesh filter which clogs
BB
Re: Fuel odour in boot?
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:34 pm
by poprivet
Lots of discussion in Kirby Palm's on-line XJ-S book for those who have not yet discovered it:
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/Jaguar.html
Re: Fuel odour in boot?
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 pm
by davidr
Hi Mac - it's worth checking the breather lines and making sure they're OK. There is a hose that comes from the filler overflow and then goes down through the lower quarter behind the wheel. If that is dislodged you will get some fumes. I knowing this because that happened a while ago. It got much better after I fixed that.
I've never had the tank out to check for corrosion as I've never really felt it was that bad. I always kept a gallon can of petrol in the boot and blamed any slight whiff on that!
Before you condemn the tank, I have never changed the pipes. They are probably original and possibly have become porous as they've hardened. I think the 5% methanol inclusion in modern fuels doesn't help older rubber compounds that were never built to cope with it. So maybe it would make sense to change those for ones better suited to modern fuel recipes before going to the hassle of taking the tank out?
The swirl tank was taken out and cleaned a couple of years ago - I think there's a thread on here somewhere from when I did it and a picture of the crud I got out!
Re: Fuel odour in boot?
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:06 am
by ChrisDixon
fuel pumps can make noise for two reasons,
one , the pump is FUBAR and needs replacing
second, the pump is experiencing restricted flow, either pulling from the sump tank , or pushing to the engine end , change the external filter, and remove and clean the under battery sump tank , the pickup tube has a fine mesh filter which clogs
BB
I recall reading a procedure for draining the sump tank involving something like bridging terminals on the fuel pump relay, does anyone have details?
Re: Fuel odour in boot?
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 pm
by Brakebuster
this is usually a short cut to ' pumping the tank dry '
easy really
take off the fuel pipe from the pump to the fuel supply tube, place this pipe ( or an extension attached ) into a receptacle for the fuel ,
the fuel pump relay will have x4 terminals identify the load or secondary terminals, and placing a suitable wire between the two spades will provide power to the pump without the car running,
warning
the pump can get hot if overworked in one go ,
BB