Spring has sprung

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:
Spring has sprung

Postby poprivet » Tue May 06, 2014 8:31 am

As I was dismantling the inlet manifold for the cooling leak problem, I noticed that the throttle spring was missing (EAC8616). I don't know when it made its bid for freedom, could have been years ago for all I know. Everything works fine without it as there are other large springs on the butterfly spindle which make sure the butterfly closes.

Anyway, I have no doubt it is there for a purpose, so I thought I would order a new one. Its just a spring, nothing special, a large version of what you might find in a ball-point pen.

£40.90 :shock: Who makes up these prices? In fact, parts pricing in general is a complete gamble, some things being really cheap and others stupidly expensive.

I'm off to B&Q later, I'm sure I can find something that will do the job for a few pence.

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: Spring has sprung

Postby piman » Tue May 06, 2014 10:11 am

Hello Pop Rivet,

if B and Q fail you, try :- http://sucarb.co.uk/catalogsearch/resul ... URN+SPRING

I don't know what sort of spring you require but they do have quite a range, unfortunately not all are illustrated or described very well. I used the top one for the throttle linkage I made up for my Triumph.

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome

PaulE
Posts:433
Joined:Tue May 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Spring has sprung

Postby PaulE » Tue May 06, 2014 10:26 am

Hello Pop,
Have you located the coolant leak yet? I have a similar small leak which runs down the nearside of the block (AJ6), and collects in the upper recess about 9 inches back. Various people have tried to find it but it is back again so will have to go to another specialist in hope. Any ideas?
1994 Coupe AJ6 engine

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Spring has sprung

Postby ptjs1 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:50 am

Pop,

It might be that you never had one. Do you have cruise control?

My car also doesn't have one and I know it hasn't had one for at least 12 years! I think that it may only be fitted if you have cruise control as it fits onto a short arm which is also not fitted to my non-cruise car.

I have thought about fitting one as sometimes I do get a momentary stick of the throttle capstan when I release the pedal, but I also won't paying £40! Where did you get that price? The online system doesn't seem to quote a price.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Spring has sprung

Postby poprivet » Tue May 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Alec: Thanks for the link, it will be usefull. B&Q/Halfords were of little help.

PaulE: It was the gasket on the alloy water rail, I guess it was weeping for some time as the bolt had rusted through and failed. There is an ongoing thread in the cooling section which I will add to as it progresses.

Paul: Mine did have a spring, photos I had taken some years ago show it in place although it was rusty. I also don't have cruise control and like you say it looks like that spring pulls in exactly the opposite direction that the cruise bellows would operate so maybe it will live happily without it.

If yours is sticking a bit I think it may be in need of a clean as I notice the two main springs give a really strong pull to close the butterfly.
Price was from David Manners
http://www.jagspares.co.uk/Manners/Part ... perpage=10


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest