This morning when I got into my '86 3.6 it wouldn't start as there was no power in the battery. I thought this strange because it ran perfectly yesterday and I don't have anything in her that uses the battery when she's not running bet, because the battery in her was so old I decided to splash out and buy a new one. However, when I tried to start her with the new battery I immediately noticed the lack of a "whirring" noise when I turned the key to the pre-ignition stage. This "whirring" noise I have always presumed to be the fuel pump. The engine turned over just fine but wouldn't start. I find it odd (or do I?? should know better!!) that it ran perfectly less than 12 hours before the problem arose but cannot see how a flat battery the fuel pump are connected. I am not a mechanic but can anyone tell me if there is something further I have to do somewhere on the car after fitting a new battery or do I have to make the call to my local garage to come and sort it out. Any help/advice is gratefully appreciated.
Chris
Car won't start - fuel pump?
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Hi Chris,
The first thing I would check is that the inertia button (drivers door A post) hasn't tripped, as that interrupts the fuel pump circuit. It would be strange for a failed fuel pump to be the cause of a flat battery as the circuit should be dead when the ignition is off, unless a relay has stuck on. All I hear on my '88 when at the pre-ign stage is the ABS pump running. I know the sound of a fuel pump but only by opening the boot, so I can't compare it to yours I'm sorry to say.
Other then that its a case of tracing out the fault stage by stage, I hope you find an easy solution.
Let us know how you get on.
Pop
The first thing I would check is that the inertia button (drivers door A post) hasn't tripped, as that interrupts the fuel pump circuit. It would be strange for a failed fuel pump to be the cause of a flat battery as the circuit should be dead when the ignition is off, unless a relay has stuck on. All I hear on my '88 when at the pre-ign stage is the ABS pump running. I know the sound of a fuel pump but only by opening the boot, so I can't compare it to yours I'm sorry to say.
Other then that its a case of tracing out the fault stage by stage, I hope you find an easy solution.
Let us know how you get on.
Pop
Thanks for the replies. Turned out to be a duff connection on the leads connected to the positive terminal cable. The lads from a local garrage came round and sorted it out in less than 5 minutes. A quick squirt of WD40 (other products are available) and she was back on the road and we enjoyed a very nice day out in her in the beautiful weather.
Chris
Chris
Non Starter
RESULT 
Isn't it nice when things work out that way..........
DH Dove
Isn't it nice when things work out that way..........
DH Dove
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
