I have got bubbling paintwork at the bottom of my offside A-pillar and water is now leaking into my footwell - I gather this is a common problem. I don't have the skill or resource to do this job myself as I think it's too far gone for a filler job. One garage has told me they can cut a section out from a donor car. Has anyone got any experience of fixing this problem? Any recommnedations for a suitable bodyshop in Yorkshire area? Can anyone tell me how much poorer I'm going to be when it's fixed? She's a 95 (facelift) model with a bonded screen so I'm sure that will pile on the pounds (like the driver).
A pillar rust
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
A pillar rust
Agards,
If a garage is talking about using a part of a donor car, this sounds much more substantial than the typical corrosion of the lower windscreen corner, leading to corrosion in the trailing edge of the scuttle panel. Have they actually seen your vehicle yet?
Without knowing exactly where and how bad the corrosion is, I suspect no-one would give you a realistic cost estimate. If you want a view, you might want to give Alan Proctor a ring. Alan's number can be found by clicking Contacts at the top of the page.
Regards,
Paul
If a garage is talking about using a part of a donor car, this sounds much more substantial than the typical corrosion of the lower windscreen corner, leading to corrosion in the trailing edge of the scuttle panel. Have they actually seen your vehicle yet?
Without knowing exactly where and how bad the corrosion is, I suspect no-one would give you a realistic cost estimate. If you want a view, you might want to give Alan Proctor a ring. Alan's number can be found by clicking Contacts at the top of the page.
Regards,
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
A pillar rust
Agards
I've have repaired A posts in the past (on XJ6s rather than XJSs) where they meet the sill (is this what you were describing?) but there was always other damage as well, inner and outer sill, floor panels etc
I've no idea how much someone would charge for this, but cutting a section from a donor '95 XJS sounds a bit unlikely - just how many scrap ones do they think are out there?
If you want to see what sort of damage might be involved have a look at the 2nd picture down here:
http://www.almclwebpages.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2.html
I've have repaired A posts in the past (on XJ6s rather than XJSs) where they meet the sill (is this what you were describing?) but there was always other damage as well, inner and outer sill, floor panels etc
I've no idea how much someone would charge for this, but cutting a section from a donor '95 XJS sounds a bit unlikely - just how many scrap ones do they think are out there?
If you want to see what sort of damage might be involved have a look at the 2nd picture down here:
http://www.almclwebpages.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2.html
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
