Facelift chrome grille strip

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

legless
Posts:7
Joined:Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:59 pm
Facelift chrome grille strip

Postby legless » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:02 pm

My 1993 Insignia looks great now I've had the bonnet stone chips dealt with except for the chrome strip along the top of the grille. It's pitted at either end - it looks a bit like continuous erosion from acid rain. Looking at other XJSs this appears to be a common problem. It looks fairly easy to remove the chrome bit from the grille by bending the locating tags back. My question is 'has anybody been able to have it successfully rechromed, and if so where and how much?'

Telsmoneypit

Member
Posts:157
Joined:Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:32 am

Postby Telsmoneypit » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:07 pm

There have been a good few facelift grilles with the chrome strip on ebay recently so it would probably be cheaper to go that route rather than get the strip rechromed.

BTW, you're not 'floppy' from the JWM site are you?

Terry
XK8 Antigua blue (with issues)
2005 X-Type Sportbrake (Triggers broom)

2004 X-Type sportbrake, 1967 S type ..and my lost love..1990 XJ-S 3.6 coupe

legless
Posts:7
Joined:Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:59 pm

Postby legless » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:02 am

Terry,

No, I'm not floppy!!! I bought a grille off ebay - when it arrived, despite reassurances from the seller, it was worse than the one I'd got! That's why I thought I would see if rechroming might be an option.

Nick


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests