Square plugs & Inner wings

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

greeban

Member
Posts:252
Joined:Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am
Square plugs & Inner wings

Postby greeban » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:37 pm

Did any of you read Bob Bate's technical topic in JEC February 06 about the damage which can be caused from rusting around the square plugs inserted into the inner wings to take mounting screws.
I have a '95 celebration and had noticed some bubbling but had not bothered until I read the article...so I did some digging :cry:
What a surprise - the engine side had some rust which was easily cleaned off - but the wheel arch side was more interesting. At first it appeared there was no rust - then I started scraping the rubberised bitumen off and wow, the rust was creeping down underneath. When I had finished, I had a 6 inch gash of rust that was growing hidden. I am pleased I did this because another couple of years and I would be as the pictures in Bob's article.
As Bob suggestes check it out - I was surprised at how hidden it was. While you are under the wheel arch check your damper top mounts - mine were beginning to rust there too...where does it end!
I have not got to the front sub frame yet - waiting until the summer for this one.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests