Windscreen hell! HELP!
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2025 12:58 pm
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread however I thought I would share some information and plead for some help at the same time. My 1991 Xjs facelift windscreen was delaminated and I found the correct screen (or so I thought) to replace it. On removal it turns out the new one is too big. After extensive investigation this is what I have learned.
* the supply chain is contaminated, the correct part number for the series2 XJS coupe is being incorrectly applied to the series 3 glass.
* The size on my car is 566mm x 1465mm the series 3 is 15mm wider. All currently marked up mark 2 glass in the supply chain come with a window boss, this is an Indicator that it may be wrong, this is not a slam dunk though, you need to measure it because it could just be a specification error.
* my screen is now cracked so the car is now off the road
* the time scale for getting one made is 14-16weeks. We have found the correct sizes in the system so we can definitely confirm there are different sizes between the facelift models.
* even is you have a screen without a boss do not jump to conclusions thinking it’s a series 2 glass, the series 3 convertibles shouldn’t have a window boss so it’s most likely still wrong.
Hopefully you find this useful, I have spent over a week trying to find the correct glass and there is ZERO to be had anywhere. If you have one that you’re willing to sell please contact me, if you’re thinking of replacing yours, plan ahead! I will be ordering 2, one for the car and one for stock. We are also exploring taking a larger glass and grinding it down to fit however a lot of material is required to be removed so this isn’t very appealing.
* the supply chain is contaminated, the correct part number for the series2 XJS coupe is being incorrectly applied to the series 3 glass.
* The size on my car is 566mm x 1465mm the series 3 is 15mm wider. All currently marked up mark 2 glass in the supply chain come with a window boss, this is an Indicator that it may be wrong, this is not a slam dunk though, you need to measure it because it could just be a specification error.
* my screen is now cracked so the car is now off the road
* the time scale for getting one made is 14-16weeks. We have found the correct sizes in the system so we can definitely confirm there are different sizes between the facelift models.
* even is you have a screen without a boss do not jump to conclusions thinking it’s a series 2 glass, the series 3 convertibles shouldn’t have a window boss so it’s most likely still wrong.
Hopefully you find this useful, I have spent over a week trying to find the correct glass and there is ZERO to be had anywhere. If you have one that you’re willing to sell please contact me, if you’re thinking of replacing yours, plan ahead! I will be ordering 2, one for the car and one for stock. We are also exploring taking a larger glass and grinding it down to fit however a lot of material is required to be removed so this isn’t very appealing.