What gauge steel for floor, body and chassis?

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

mike.p.smith915

Member
Posts:22
Joined:Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:57 am
What gauge steel for floor, body and chassis?

Postby mike.p.smith915 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi,

I am part way through the restoration of a 1994 XJS 4L Face Lift model and need to replace some sections of corroded floor, body and chassis but I am not sure what gauge steel is used in each area. Can anyone confirm the appropriate gauge steel to use and also recommend a steel supplier please?

I have checked the XJS workshop manual and can't find any reference to the steel thickness other than to say circa 40% of the facelift model uses zinc plated steel. I have checked previous forum entries and there are lots that cover welding repairs but I can't see specific references to the gauge of steel used (other than terms like "chassis grade steel").

Welcome your guidance here if you can help please.

Regards
Mike

340jag
Posts:165
Joined:Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: What gauge steel for floor, body and chasis?

Postby 340jag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:51 am

When I got a few replacment panels from so called specialists , I was surprised to see the diffrence in the gauge of steel , new parts thinner then factory steel !
I got thicker steel from my local body and paint out let , Kent paint , they have sheets in diffrent sizes and gauge .

I made a blast cabinet out of a old oil drum this year , cut a big hole in the side , I was surprised to see how thick the gauge was , if I need any moor steel think I may look at using a old oil drum , as I can get my hands on them for free :D

mike.p.smith915

Member
Posts:22
Joined:Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:57 am

Re: What gauge steel for floor, body and chassis?

Postby mike.p.smith915 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply. I think I will try and measure the thickness of the existing steel on the car and then try and find a steel stockist that can match this. I may give Kent a call too.
Kind regards
Mike

User avatar
iRS

Moderator
Posts:226
Joined:Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:24 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire
Contact:

Re: What gauge steel for floor, body and chassis?

Postby iRS » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi Mike
I'm restoring an XJ-S too, but an older one. What I would say is the steel is much thicker than you would expect and is in different gauges according to where it is. I bought some sheet steel from the metal store: https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/product ... rs-uk-mild
Good luck!
Roger
Roger S
Aberdeenshire
E-TYPE MODEL SECTION COORDINATOR

Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB

mike.p.smith915

Member
Posts:22
Joined:Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:57 am

Re: What gauge steel for floor, body and chassis?

Postby mike.p.smith915 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:11 pm

Hi,

Thank you Roger. Just noticed your reply. Yes, I have bought some metal from the same place and they were very helpful. Onwards with welding now... Hope your restoration goes well.

Kind regards
Mike


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests