Front spoiler undertray BEC14385
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:55 am
Driving along a dual carriageway the other day doing a fair lick and suddenly heard a noise that sounded like steam escaping! Christ I thought - hose blown and I am losing precious coolant - fortunately managed to quickly find some room to pull over, engine off and then leapt out expecting to see pool of water, but nothing! Looked around the car but could not see anything and then looked underneath to see the front spoiler tray on the ground held on with 2 remaining screws. As traffic was whizzing by me at 70+ mph decided to rip what was left off and chuck it in the boot. Fortunately was able to continue the rest of the journey without further mishap.
On inspection seems the whole front lip of the under tray has cracked and disintegrated - I had noticed that the front was scraping more on speed bumps recently but had not taken a close look as thought was just suspension sagging with age and at a glance all looked well; if I had bothered to inspect it I may have noticed the cracks and been able to save it - stitch in time comes to mind!! I can only think the air pressure at high speed finally caused a catastrophic failure. Bugger - especially as no longer available except from a guy in USA who has remade them but cost is close to £200 and no doubt there will be VAT and import duty on top.
Does anyone know if anyone in the UK is interested in remanufacturing these or has anyone made up one themselves?
On inspection seems the whole front lip of the under tray has cracked and disintegrated - I had noticed that the front was scraping more on speed bumps recently but had not taken a close look as thought was just suspension sagging with age and at a glance all looked well; if I had bothered to inspect it I may have noticed the cracks and been able to save it - stitch in time comes to mind!! I can only think the air pressure at high speed finally caused a catastrophic failure. Bugger - especially as no longer available except from a guy in USA who has remade them but cost is close to £200 and no doubt there will be VAT and import duty on top.
Does anyone know if anyone in the UK is interested in remanufacturing these or has anyone made up one themselves?