Page 1 of 1

Mud Flaps

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:09 am
by ktclm06
Can anyone give me the lowdown on fitting (& sourcing?) mud flaps on a 1994 Coupe?.

I recall reading somewhere that the model was not set up/spec'd for these fitments hence they are very difficult to source?,

Regards,
KTCLM06

Mud Flaps

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:30 am
by MARKPEARSON
This ebay special might fit they look similar to the ones fitted to my 93 with big bumpers.

Cut and paste this item no in ebay search box.

350064161463

Good luck.

Regards Mark.

Mud Flaps

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:19 pm
by ktclm06
Cheers Mark, appreciated.

Funnily enough, I'd already seen these (one of my favourite searches!) and that prompted the posting on the BB.

As it happens my girl is in with Dave Marks next week for some work, I'll print this off & get his opinion. If he says OK......

Thanks again,
Keith.

Mud Flaps

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:43 pm
by ptjs1
Keith,

There were mudflaps produced for big-bumper cars. They are different from the ones available for earlier cars.

I actually have a set which I procured a few years ago but have never fitted. From memory, they mount by drilling through the plastic bumper. They don't have raised painted lettering and my guess is that these ones on ebay are the earlier ones. I'll try and dig mine out at the weekend and if I can find them I'll check and report back on Saturday.

Paul

Mud Flaps

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:24 pm
by kelsham
Hi Bear in mind that mudflaps invariably trap mud and help cause corrosion. They require regular cleaning to stop them causing rust problems regards Kels

Mud Flaps

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:02 pm
by ptjs1
The good thing about the late cars is that the mudflaps are just mounted to the plastic bumper so no rust probs.

Paul

Mud Flaps

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:54 am
by ktclm06
Hi Both,
Thanks for the replies.

Having mud flaps is just "one of my things", I always think they finish off the stern view of the car, tidying it up and making it look as if it sits just a little lower to the floor?.

I thought it best to ask for advice on this one as I have an exhaust and a luggage cover sat in the garage originally purchased (yes on EBay!) for Mrs.T's Subaru Legacy but both were duff buys unfortunatley. Don't even get me onto Power Steering pumps.........God alone knows how often they were changed during the models life, I ended up laying out c.£600 at the end of last year for a new one. "Ouch". That thing is infinitley more expensive to run than the XJ, mind you the S hasn't got as good a loading capacity!,
Cheers again,

Mud Flaps

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:24 pm
by ptjs1
Keith,

I've managed to find my big bumper mud flaps.

Confirmed my view that the ebay ones are for earlier cars where the flaps mount to the steel rear lower 1//4 panel using 2 bolts with the panel sandwiched between the flap and a mounting plate

The BB flaps mount using 3 plastic "expansion screw" clips mounted direct into holes that you drill in the flange of the plastic bumper. The flaps themselves are smaller as the large bumpers naturally extend lower than the steel 1/4 panels.

See the pics below of the ebay item compared to the big bumper type: The pics aren't brill but you can see the difference in the profile of the mounting area.

http://www.jec.org.uk/cgi-bin/gallery-s ... E&comment=
Big Bumper type

http://www.jec.org.uk/cgi-bin/gallery-s ... E&comment=

http://www.jec.org.uk/cgi-bin/gallery-s ... E&comment=



The part number for the BB mudflap is JLM 11359

Hope that helps

Paul

Mud Flaps

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:06 am
by ktclm06
Paul,
You have been wonderfully helpful, thank you.

I can now source with confidence, the part number has been added to my (growing) wish list....!.

Owe you a drink sometime I believe!,

Cheers.

Mud Flaps

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:09 pm
by jbb1994
Are the mudflaps the same for front & rear, because my door sills at front are beginning to look sandblasted!

Re: Mud Flaps

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:22 pm
by Brakebuster
from the pics , mine are the old type

shame, as they are a brand new full set,

good luck with the search

BB 8)