Facelift Door Mirror Fix
Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:43 pm
Hi,
Hello,
Like some others ,I had a stuck/seized drivers door mirror, soon to be too loose, too free and aided by me!
I have a £7 fix.
Its a known problem that the internal shaft rusts, or circlip, or spring, or all three!
Not too sure if this fix would work for pre-facelift XJS 's.
Once the door mirror is free from the door and the wiring is disconnected (ok...slap my wrist...I just cut through it, to re-crimp later.)
First I had to remove the 24 year mirror glass..so that broke (please wear googles as the splinters fly!),then you can un-stick the heater element to expose 3x Torx 15 (or T10?) screws. You cannot remove the two T20 screws that attach the black plastic to chrome body, unless it has been removed first.
The old rusty splined hollow tube was hack-sawed along its entire length and removed.
I obtained a 40mm x 14mm x 2mm stainless steel tube (around £7 from the internet.)
If you do not have these tools already, you will have to purchase a M14 x 1.0 Tap & Die (its large, so had to make a tool to take the Die.)
I put a thread (14:1mm) a long the entire 40mm length of the SS tube.
I then put a matching thread in the original, alloy body hole with my M14 tap.
I cleaned-up the old spring and coated venerable parts in Alu anti-seize grease.
Now, I can use a brass M14,flat nut to screw-up the tension on the spring, so hopefully, its now fixed.
I also like the thought of being able to disassemble everything, if I ever want to re-chrome the door mirrors in the future.
I might even do the same anyway, to the passenger mirror ,even though its not stuck...yet!
A point of interest...I had to get a new mirror glass (exact fit) from the US (£23inc.),but it has an etched safety message on it. Does anyone know where I can get the same, but from the UK?
I hope this helps?
Nick
ps. Pictures not in order and I could only attach 3.
Like some others ,I had a stuck/seized drivers door mirror, soon to be too loose, too free and aided by me!
I have a £7 fix.
Its a known problem that the internal shaft rusts, or circlip, or spring, or all three!
Not too sure if this fix would work for pre-facelift XJS 's.
Once the door mirror is free from the door and the wiring is disconnected (ok...slap my wrist...I just cut through it, to re-crimp later.)
First I had to remove the 24 year mirror glass..so that broke (please wear googles as the splinters fly!),then you can un-stick the heater element to expose 3x Torx 15 (or T10?) screws. You cannot remove the two T20 screws that attach the black plastic to chrome body, unless it has been removed first.
The old rusty splined hollow tube was hack-sawed along its entire length and removed.
I obtained a 40mm x 14mm x 2mm stainless steel tube (around £7 from the internet.)
If you do not have these tools already, you will have to purchase a M14 x 1.0 Tap & Die (its large, so had to make a tool to take the Die.)
I put a thread (14:1mm) a long the entire 40mm length of the SS tube.
I then put a matching thread in the original, alloy body hole with my M14 tap.
I cleaned-up the old spring and coated venerable parts in Alu anti-seize grease.
Now, I can use a brass M14,flat nut to screw-up the tension on the spring, so hopefully, its now fixed.
I also like the thought of being able to disassemble everything, if I ever want to re-chrome the door mirrors in the future.
I might even do the same anyway, to the passenger mirror ,even though its not stuck...yet!
A point of interest...I had to get a new mirror glass (exact fit) from the US (£23inc.),but it has an etched safety message on it. Does anyone know where I can get the same, but from the UK?
I hope this helps?
Nick
ps. Pictures not in order and I could only attach 3.