Underbody rust query

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

ben191

Member
Posts:2
Joined:Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:31 pm
Underbody rust query

Postby ben191 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:11 pm

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 6.0 1993 xjs and absolutely love it. However, I was securing a cover this afternoon and noticed a few patches of rust around the jacking points, I’d appreciuany views on how serious these are and the best ways to remedy it if needs be?

Thanks in advance, Ben
Attachments
B618D5C0-F04D-43BF-8211-4B2156DCC6FA.jpeg
14378A9E-5747-4EBD-9B6F-783DB987C96D.jpeg
14B0F219-8C26-41F5-BFCC-FB0489984C57.jpeg

greeban

Member
Posts:252
Joined:Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Underbody rust query

Postby greeban » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Good you spotted it - hopefully is just surface rust where moisture has gotten under the hardened and peeling underseal. From the overspray looks like some other recent remedial work has been done in the vicinity already?
I would get under there with a screwdriver and chip away all the lose underseal - hopefully you will not find any holes. If you do then as structural you will need to get professional advice on what needs to be done. Hopefully, all being well you have no holes so can wire brush or sand off the loose rust, treat with rust killer, repaint and re-underseal.

ben191

Member
Posts:2
Joined:Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:31 pm

Re: Underbody rust query

Postby ben191 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks for the comment, I've booked it into Arun Independent Jaguars in Pulborough so they can have a look at the underbody on a ramp. I'm having to pay for the ramp time but think it'll be worth it for piece of mind etc.

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Underbody rust query

Postby poprivet » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:44 pm

It's an unfortunate reality that cars of this age can and do rust in very difficult to get to places. You need to be looking in other areas too, such as the windscreen scuttles and tops.

The messy overspray suggests the sills were tarted up before selling, hopefully it isn't too bad. Sorry to be blunt.

carman1971uk@gmail.com
Posts:1
Joined:Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Re: Underbody rust query

Postby carman1971uk@gmail.com » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:41 pm

I have recently purchased an XJS and the previous owner noted it had been rustproofed with Waxoyl twice with the last coating around 4 years ago. Are these Dinitrol kits any good and easy to apply in aerosol format? https://www.tiltrak.com/product-categor ... fing-kits/

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Underbody rust query

Postby davidr » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:25 pm

I find it much better to use a wax injection kit powered by a compressor. This gives a much better mist that finds its way into more of the nooks and crannies. I don't find that aerosols have the oomph to do that.
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest