Front door qtr window seal
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Hi,
I am replacing my nearside front qtr light window seal (BD44773) and have noticed that there is rust under the seal. The parts diagram shows a window carrier (BD45089) in this area, so could it be this part that is rusty. Has anyone completed this job before and is this part the probable area of rust. It is one of those jobs you need to make sure you have all the parts before starting it. There is an added problem that this window carrier is not available in any UK sites so if anyone knows where to get one would help greatly. My car is a 1986 XJ-SC cabriolet.
I am replacing my nearside front qtr light window seal (BD44773) and have noticed that there is rust under the seal. The parts diagram shows a window carrier (BD45089) in this area, so could it be this part that is rusty. Has anyone completed this job before and is this part the probable area of rust. It is one of those jobs you need to make sure you have all the parts before starting it. There is an added problem that this window carrier is not available in any UK sites so if anyone knows where to get one would help greatly. My car is a 1986 XJ-SC cabriolet.
Re: Front door qtr window seal
It may be that you can clean it up and repaint it? I think I can remember doing that on my V12 Coupe but it was a few years ago! I'm assuming that the cabriolet and coupe doors are the same on the logic that the cabriolet was made by building a body without a roof panel that was then sent off to have the buttresses etc removed and the targa roof installed?
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Front door qtr window seal
Thanks for your reply. I am putting the car on sorn during the winter, so it will give me time to sort it out. I don't suppose you can remember if it is a panel that is easy to recreate if it is too rusty.
Re: Front door qtr window seal
I think it's basically a channel contoured to the top of the door so possible to make one I suppose but I'd be looking for a decent one from a breaker before I resorted to trying to create one from scratch
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Front door qtr window seal
which side, i may well have some spares in my ' junk box' from my own car
BB
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: Front door qtr window seal
Hi,
I am replacing the LH seal but ideally I would like to obtain both sides. The RH seal is not as bad but eventually I will replace it. Anyway it would be great if you just have the LH side support plate. If you do not have it thanks for looking anyway.
I am replacing the LH seal but ideally I would like to obtain both sides. The RH seal is not as bad but eventually I will replace it. Anyway it would be great if you just have the LH side support plate. If you do not have it thanks for looking anyway.
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Front door qtr window seal
cool
I have a box of window/door spares from my restoration , I think I have at least one in good condition that can be refurbished ,
new ones do come up from time to time,
quick pointer, these are screwed to the door frame and fully sealed in with mastic , then the rubber goes over the top and is also matic'd in ,
you probably found this when taking it apart
BB
I have a box of window/door spares from my restoration , I think I have at least one in good condition that can be refurbished ,
new ones do come up from time to time,
quick pointer, these are screwed to the door frame and fully sealed in with mastic , then the rubber goes over the top and is also matic'd in ,
you probably found this when taking it apart
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: Front door qtr window seal
Hi,
I am a new member so not sure how proceed on the JEC website privately to give details of price/payment and delivery details. I assumed the unit was screwed in but having a replacement does make it easier to replace. I will navigate the website and look at the private settings on the system
I am a new member so not sure how proceed on the JEC website privately to give details of price/payment and delivery details. I assumed the unit was screwed in but having a replacement does make it easier to replace. I will navigate the website and look at the private settings on the system
Re: Front door qtr window seal
Hi,
Can I assume you have replaced a qtr light window before, and if so does the window go easy into the seal probably assisted by some lubricant.
Can I assume you have replaced a qtr light window before, and if so does the window go easy into the seal probably assisted by some lubricant.
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Front door qtr window seal
in all honesty , no , it doesn't, they are a struggle, and several things have to all be done at once, like put the seal into the outer frame, with sealant, and push into the door mounted frame, with sealant, and bolt together once bashed with a mallet...Hi,
Can I assume you have replaced a qtr light window before, and if so does the window go easy into the seal probably assisted by some lubricant.
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Front door qtr window seal
update
unfortunately ,after searching my spares i don't have any of the quarter light window lower frames ( i got everything else in the box though !! ) , this demonstrates how hard they are to come by i suppose, as the rusty ones are no good for reuse at all
construction wise, its like a 'H' shape with a bend formed in it, , i think its actually two 'U' shaped parts spot welded together , from memory ,
hope you found some soon
BB
unfortunately ,after searching my spares i don't have any of the quarter light window lower frames ( i got everything else in the box though !! ) , this demonstrates how hard they are to come by i suppose, as the rusty ones are no good for reuse at all
construction wise, its like a 'H' shape with a bend formed in it, , i think its actually two 'U' shaped parts spot welded together , from memory ,
hope you found some soon
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: Front door qtr window seal
Thanks for looking anyway
Re: Front door qtr window seal
I have found a new qtr light window support BD45089 for sale on a foreign website. My parts list states that this part fits my 1986 XJ-SC cabriolet but the website states it only fits certain models from 1991. Can anyone confirm that this fits my model
Re: Front door qtr window seal
I have now ordered one from a US website. I contacted David Manners to verify whether the part fitted my cabriolet and their answer was that it fitted the coupe so as it was the same door as the cabriolet it should fit.
Re: Front door qtr window seal
cabriolet,
The best place to check any part number is just to go to
the Jaguar parts website and look at the diagrams and part numbers.
Hope that helps
Paul
The best place to check any part number is just to go to
the Jaguar parts website and look at the diagrams and part numbers.
Hope that helps
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

