I've had an electric polisher in the garage, still in its box, for about 3 years.
'Er indoors is away for a day and a night so thought that I would pay attention to my own cars for a change.
Took it out of the box, removed spiders, webs, woodlice and other dead life, RTFM'd and fired it up.
Quite pleasantly pleased with the result.
Shiny
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: Shiny
Steve,
Looking good! You've reminded me that I also have an unboxed orbital polisher in the garage from many years ago! One for the weekend, methinks!
Paul
Looking good! You've reminded me that I also have an unboxed orbital polisher in the garage from many years ago! One for the weekend, methinks!
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Shiny
Just don't confuse it the with unboxed orbital sander; only pain lies along that path.
The hardest part was fitting the mops over the head; mine were a very tight fit and I had to make sure that only the polishing/buffing face was touching the car because there wasn't a lot of slack and the cloths are supported by a nylon/plastic (think shower cap) ring which I didn't want touching the paintwork.
Plan it out before you start; it won't do all the bits because of the size of the mop head so there will be bits that you have to do by hand, around the mirrors and the buttresses etc.
The instructions were quite specific; put the polish on the pad, put the pad on the car and then switch it on and leave it on the car when you switch it off.
I had the occasional blob of polish when I finished but the good old yellow dusters took them out straight away.
You don't drive it like a sander, you just let it wander around a bit spreading polish where there isn't any (if the roof goes 'boing' then you are pressing too hard).
Once you force yourself to unbox the thing it is startlingly easy.
If you are not totally sure then there is always a neighbour that will let you try it on their car first; I had 2 requests to borrow it whilst I was doing mine.
The hardest part was fitting the mops over the head; mine were a very tight fit and I had to make sure that only the polishing/buffing face was touching the car because there wasn't a lot of slack and the cloths are supported by a nylon/plastic (think shower cap) ring which I didn't want touching the paintwork.
Plan it out before you start; it won't do all the bits because of the size of the mop head so there will be bits that you have to do by hand, around the mirrors and the buttresses etc.
The instructions were quite specific; put the polish on the pad, put the pad on the car and then switch it on and leave it on the car when you switch it off.
I had the occasional blob of polish when I finished but the good old yellow dusters took them out straight away.
You don't drive it like a sander, you just let it wander around a bit spreading polish where there isn't any (if the roof goes 'boing' then you are pressing too hard).
Once you force yourself to unbox the thing it is startlingly easy.
If you are not totally sure then there is always a neighbour that will let you try it on their car first; I had 2 requests to borrow it whilst I was doing mine.
Re: Shiny
I have a 37 year old Makita polisher. Fantastic machine.
Its had three new brush sets, one new switch, an armature, a new gear pinion set and a new power lead. Make me chuckle when I use it because it reminds me of Triggers Brush!
Mike
Its had three new brush sets, one new switch, an armature, a new gear pinion set and a new power lead. Make me chuckle when I use it because it reminds me of Triggers Brush!
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

