Page 1 of 1
PHU41R - 1976 Factory manual restoration - Part 3
Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:42 pm
by iRS
This is the story of PHU41R continued from:
http://www.jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10434
The next jobs I did were to remover the windscreen surrounds and to take a look at the dented passenger door.
The passenger door is still awaiting work as the first door skin I got hold of was totally useless - dented and the metal far too thin. That went back and the door awaits further attention.
Here it is held in a vice up side down ready to weld a new section into the bottom of the door.
The windscreen surround was hiding some surprises, though the corrosion near the surround did hint at hidden troubles.
Re: PHU41R - 1976 Factory manual restoration - Part 3
Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:55 pm
by iRS
underneath that chrome was this:
and this.....
and this
I wonder how many other XJ-S's look like this once the windscreen is removed?
Continued at:
http://www.jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10608
Re: PHU41R - 1976 Factory manual restoration - Part 3
Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:20 am
by BigCatXJS
I wonder how many other XJ-S's look like this once the windscreen is removed?
Quite a few I suspect. My windscreen was recently replaced. There was no hint of any corrosion around the scuttle or the Chrome/Steel sections, but some welding was required for the nearside lower corner once the trim and windscreen was removed.
Rich.
Re: PHU41R - 1976 Factory manual restoration - Part 3
Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:50 am
by ptjs1
Roger,
Good to hear of your progress and to see the pics. You may remember my article in the mag a few years ago on windscreen flange corrosion. I had far less indication than you visible on the scuttle and far more corrosion in the lower section of the flange and that was on a 94 convertible, which should be far less susceptible than your early car!
Looking forward to the next update.
Paul
Re: PHU41R - 1976 Factory manual restoration - Part 3
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:51 pm
by keri
That is quite a car you have there I wish I was doing it I would love to restore a genuine factory manual maybe one day? you probably have not lost any enthusiasm just yet but it took me 12 years to complete mine and sometimes it just got to me when things went wrong and on some occasions i wanted to give up but I didn't I just left it a while and then returned to it and seeing all the pics of your restoration has brought all the memories of mine and my car was in a similar condition to yours and I never thought on some occasions I would finish it but I have, almost just a couple of snags to go I have attached a couple of pics to inspire you just keep at it and it will be finished one day, any ideas when you hope to complete?
Re: PHU41R - 1976 Factory manual restoration - Part 3
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:26 am
by iRS
Keri - thanks for that. sorry for the very extended delay in replying. Yes, that's good incentive. I expect it will take me a similar time frame. I'm keen to get working on it, but there are too many other things that take priority - sadly! What colour is yours? Is that signal or Sebring red or other? I'm sure there are plenty of top tips you can pass on. I see your wheels look the correct shade of grey. Where did you get those done?
Re: PHU41R - 1976 Factory manual restoration - Part 3
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:07 pm
by keri
Sorry for the delay the colour of my car is signal red which was its correct factory colour, on my wheels accompany called pristine alloys did this they told me 2 shades of grey were available simply light or dark grey so I went light as this was the first colour it looked to a liitle pale at first but as you said it is correct and looks right keep up the hard work hope this helps you
regards
keri
windscreen flange corrosion
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:43 am
by Maggie
How do I get a copy of the JEC article written Aug of 2012. On how to remove windscreen flange on XJS facelift coupe?
Re: PHU41R - 1976 Factory manual restoration - Part 3
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 am
by davidr
JEC members have access to archived copies of the magazine via a link at the very top of this page.