Wing Mirrors

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire
Wing Mirror Worries - the alternative method

Postby dhdove » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:55 pm

Dear All
Just took this job on today on "floppy" passenger side mirror, what a bu**er!
Anyway
You must take off the door card complete otherwise you'll damage it.
Take off mirror having accessed and undone 2X multiplugs attached forward top to door skin bracket.
Mirror on bench, collar is corroded solid to mirror "shaft".
Removed spring clip (hammer and chisel, grips lube and gentle persuasion, removed clip and spring down cable,can now see seized collar.
I can't see what use this collar is once its knackered!
So, using punch and hammer...punched collar down till it self-destructed, ripped collar off mirror shaft by use of sharp chisel and vice-grips, binned collar, re-assembled mirror without collar with spring bearing directly onto door mount chrome plate.
Main problem, getting the spring clip back on. Wire-locked spring together in fully tensioned postiion, re-assembled, hammered spring clip back on and cut and removed locking wire from spring. Well, most of it.
Looked alright to me :evil:
Re-fit mirror to car, (re-assembly is the reverse of the above proceedure).
Its lasted six hours so far.......... :wink:
Seems to work OK too, admittedly my mirror glass was already broken so will be fitting new stick-on glass (special order from Halfords, £6.49) but I dont think you'll break the glass if you hammer the mirror in a "considerate" way............
Regards
DH Dove

greeban

Member
Posts:252
Joined:Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

Postby greeban » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:27 pm

Glad you got there in the end!
When re-fitting, I used some mastic to seal the mirror to the door; have heard a lot about ingress of water and my door card had some interesting gloop at the bottom to try and make a seal! Suggest anyone who has their mirror off use a little mastic when refitting to make a watertight seal.

richardws

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Re: Wing Mirrors

Postby richardws » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 am

When I bought my Celebration I didnt even know the mirrors did fold back. The electric part worked fine so I was happy enough until a truck reversed into the drivers door and the mirror smashed in two plus the door caved in. Then I noticed the corroded spring and collar. I was devastated about the door because I had just spent a fortune on having the windscreen aperture welded due to incredible rot (another Celebration party piece!) and the car was actually still at the body shop when the smash happened. Anyway new doors there are not but as luck would have it Eurojag in Darlington had just taken in a red Celeb with a perfect drivers door. I bought it over the phone there and then for £60!! When it arrived two days later it had a perfect mirror still on it and the parking swivel worked fine. What a bit of luck. Now I just have to find a peplacement for the other side which I knocked off myself and had to Araldite back on in time for its MOT. A year later the glue is still holding!! Richard


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests