Hi
Well as is almost inevitable when learning a new topic - I’ve had a bit of a set back whilst trying to improve my car.
When closed, the boot stood slightly proud of the rear wings. I thought that it used to line up quite nicely so began to investigate. When I looked at the boot lock, the moving plate was in the full clockwise position - effectively meaning that there was a hole in the middle surrounded by the two plates - one fixed and one movable.
I thought - tragic last words! - that it would be a good idea to move the movable plate fully anti-clockwise so that there was a gap between the plates - which I anticipated would allow the striker to connect into the lock nicely. Photo below illustrates the result of my tinkering.
However, having done so the boot no longer latches closed - and I can’t work out how to release the movable plate so that it returns to its fully clockwise position.
I have tried the key in the boot lock - but no joy. I tried urning the central locking off and on - but no joy.
Any thoughts on how I can get back to square one - i.e. the movable plate in the fully clockwise position - please!
Thanks
Peter
Boot Lock - messed up
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
Not quite sure I've understood this, but I think the solution is to make sure the boot is unlocked and then, while holding the external release button fully in, try and move the catch. Normally, just pressing the button achieves this, but if it doesn't, try using something like a screwdriver shaft to move the rotating part back to the unlock position.
Pressing the external release button should cause the bit arrowed in the image below to release the catch but if it doesn't , a bit of help from said screwdriver may assist.
Pressing the external release button should cause the bit arrowed in the image below to release the catch but if it doesn't , a bit of help from said screwdriver may assist.
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
Hi ALMCL
Thanks for the reply - I’ll try that tomorrow morning. I literally didn’t even know where to start - and once bitten was concerned that I could end up making the situation worse as I travelled blind down a random path!
Much appreciated - I’ll let you know how I get on.
Peter
Thanks for the reply - I’ll try that tomorrow morning. I literally didn’t even know where to start - and once bitten was concerned that I could end up making the situation worse as I travelled blind down a random path!
Much appreciated - I’ll let you know how I get on.
Peter
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
You have my sympathies.
Bought the (correct) bits to sort out the errant tailgate lock on my Freelander 2.
Watched the video, followed the instructions.
Nowhere in anything that I saw explained that 75% of the plastic fittings that the studs were attached to would fall off when you you took it apart.
The plastic didn't break or snap, it just crumbled, ABS rust.
The peabrains that specified this crap obviously expected the car to be recycled after 10 years.
It is 14 years old , that is all.
Rubbish design, rubbish quality control and rubbish rubbish rubbish.
£280 for a replacement part, which does not include the lights, locks or cabling.
Rubbish.
Also, furious; if it wasn't for the fact that the crap bit contains the number plate lights I would just tape up the holes, drill another hole and then stick a bit of rope in it.
Or a fuse.
The type you light, not the 12 volt ones.
Bought the (correct) bits to sort out the errant tailgate lock on my Freelander 2.
Watched the video, followed the instructions.
Nowhere in anything that I saw explained that 75% of the plastic fittings that the studs were attached to would fall off when you you took it apart.
The plastic didn't break or snap, it just crumbled, ABS rust.
The peabrains that specified this crap obviously expected the car to be recycled after 10 years.
It is 14 years old , that is all.
Rubbish design, rubbish quality control and rubbish rubbish rubbish.
£280 for a replacement part, which does not include the lights, locks or cabling.
Rubbish.
Also, furious; if it wasn't for the fact that the crap bit contains the number plate lights I would just tape up the holes, drill another hole and then stick a bit of rope in it.
Or a fuse.
The type you light, not the 12 volt ones.
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
Update - PROGRESS - but the case (Boot!) isn’t closed yet
Thanks for ALMCL’s advice, I managed to free up the “latch” on the lock - so that it is now in its down position - ready to wrap around the striker I believe.
However, the boot lid still will not shut properly - it never seems to latch closed.
I have looked at the lock and the latch and realised that lining them up is critical. I even took the striker off and played with it going into the latch.
I am now having difficulty aligning the latch and the striker. I am using a self levelling DeWalt laser to try to help me - trying to get the middle of the right hand section of the striker to line up with the point marked in red on the latch by the laser beam.
I thought that this would work a treat - but still no joy.
Any advice from people that may have done this before? I am aware that the striker needs to be in the correct lateral as well as vertical position - but I am just trying to get the lateral alignment sorted at the moment.
Thanks all
Peter
Thanks for ALMCL’s advice, I managed to free up the “latch” on the lock - so that it is now in its down position - ready to wrap around the striker I believe.
However, the boot lid still will not shut properly - it never seems to latch closed.
I have looked at the lock and the latch and realised that lining them up is critical. I even took the striker off and played with it going into the latch.
I am now having difficulty aligning the latch and the striker. I am using a self levelling DeWalt laser to try to help me - trying to get the middle of the right hand section of the striker to line up with the point marked in red on the latch by the laser beam.
I thought that this would work a treat - but still no joy.
Any advice from people that may have done this before? I am aware that the striker needs to be in the correct lateral as well as vertical position - but I am just trying to get the lateral alignment sorted at the moment.
Thanks all
Peter
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
Hi Peter - the way I did this was to convince the Mrs to get in the boot with a torch and a spanner, then I pushed the striker into the latch and closed the lid. Once I was happy that everything was lined up as I wanted she nipped the bolts up and I let her out.
It was only fair, after the help she gave me!
It was only fair, after the help she gave me!
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
That was brave!
How about using a phone in the boot to record a video (with a light of course) Then review the footage to see what to adjust.
Repeat as necessary.
How about using a phone in the boot to record a video (with a light of course) Then review the footage to see what to adjust.
Repeat as necessary.
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
I love it - but the wife left a long time ago. The kids owe me though!Hi Peter - the way I did this was to convince the Mrs to get in the boot with a torch and a spanner, then I pushed the striker into the latch and closed the lid. Once I was happy that everything was lined up as I wanted she nipped the bolts up and I let her out.
It was only fair, after the help she gave me!
Peter
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
Thanks - good idea - I will give that a go.That was brave!
How about using a phone in the boot to record a video (with a light of course) Then review the footage to see what to adjust.
Repeat as necessary.
Peter
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
You may well have sorted the alignment by now, but in case not, the images below may help?
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
Hi ALMCLYou may well have sorted the alignment by now, but in case not, the images below may help?
alignment 1.jpg
ALIGNMENT 2.jpg
alignment 3.jpg
I am not sorted yet - but thanks to your images I may well be later today.
Thanks!
Peter
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
Great pics Al!
Paul
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
Hi ALMCLYou may well have sorted the alignment by now, but in case not, the images below may help?
alignment 1.jpg
ALIGNMENT 2.jpg
alignment 3.jpg
Well - those images cracked the lock for me (so as to speak). Thanks very much - the images in combination with the self levelling laser light allowed me to sort the lateral alignment very quickly. I then had to sort the vertical alignment - but that worked out very quickly. I can now discard the electrical cord that I was using to keep the boot closed - and no longer need to close the boot lid as if I am trying to send it to Australia.
Thanks to everyone who took part in this thread - hopefully it will help others in future.
Peter
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Boot Lock - messed up
Well done for sorting it, Peter and thanks for letting us know, as you say it may help someone in the future.
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests
