PHU41R Restoration - part 9 - first body repairs

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
iRS

Moderator
Posts:226
Joined:Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:24 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire
Contact:
PHU41R Restoration - part 9 - first body repairs

Postby iRS » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:51 am

This is continued from: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12323#p66978

Once stripped, I counted up about a dozen areas needing welding, ranging from major things such as the floors, to much smaller repairs. I thought I'd start at the front, so tackled the corrosion between the shock absorber mounting strengthener piece and the inner wing. This didn't look too bad on the passenger side:
IMG_0514m.jpeg
However, a bit of cutting revealed this:
IMG_0525.jpg
I tidied that up by cutting out the worst area:
IMG_0529m.jpeg
Last edited by iRS on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger S
Aberdeenshire
E-TYPE MODEL SECTION COORDINATOR

Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB

User avatar
iRS

Moderator
Posts:226
Joined:Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:24 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire
Contact:

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 9 - first body repairs

Postby iRS » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 am

and then welded in thick gauge steel to repair the strengthener:
IMG_0531m.jpeg
and then finished it off with standard gauge steel
IMG_0546m.jpg
It needs a bit of tidying up still, but now its rot free.
Roger S
Aberdeenshire
E-TYPE MODEL SECTION COORDINATOR

Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB

User avatar
iRS

Moderator
Posts:226
Joined:Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:24 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire
Contact:

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 9 - first body repairs

Postby iRS » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 pm

On the driver's sides repair had already been made. I thought about grinding off the weld and making it look better, but then I thought again and removed the repair piece:
IMG_0533m.jpg
That revealed this:
IMG_0534m.jpeg
and with the worst cut out:
IMG_0536m.jpeg
Roger S
Aberdeenshire
E-TYPE MODEL SECTION COORDINATOR

Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 9 - first body repairs

Postby davidr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:05 pm

good stuff Roger - keep it coming!

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 9 - first body repairs

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Moths. Definitely moths.... trust me. I know about these things.

Mike.
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
iRS

Moderator
Posts:226
Joined:Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:24 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire
Contact:

Re: PHU41R Restoration - part 9 - first body repairs

Postby iRS » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:18 pm

Its taken me ages to get around to finishing this off.

First I thought cardboard:
IMG_0547m.jpeg
Then I thought metal:
IMG_0575 m.jpeg
I think the metal may last longer......


Fabricating the metal was actually really quite tricky due to the numerous folds and bends in the piece. I ended making it out of two pieces and welding up one of the fold lines.
Roger S
Aberdeenshire
E-TYPE MODEL SECTION COORDINATOR

Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest