PHU41R - 1976 Factory manual restoration - Bumpers - Part 2

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
iRS

Moderator
Posts:226
Joined:Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:24 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire
Contact:
PHU41R - 1976 Factory manual restoration - Bumpers - Part 2

Postby iRS » Mon May 09, 2016 1:59 pm

This is a continuation of a post in the new arrivals section, introducing the car and the intended restoration:

http://www.jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10432

Once I got the car moved up to Scotland, the first job I did was to remove the bumpers. I think this was Autumn 2014 by then. I was in for a bit of a surprise.
IMG_2279 copy.jpg
As can be seen, there was very little left of the front bumper.
IMG_2281 copy.jpg
The rear one had stood the test of time a little better.

I guess this is a warning to any other pre-HE owners who have not had the rubber coverings off the bumpers. You might be surprised just how little there is left. The bumpers are also increasingly difficult to get hold of these days. I was lucky that Paul and Greg of Hyper Engineering in Oxfordshire, who I have known for a long time, just happened to have a good second hand set. A deal was done.
IMG_2876.jpg
Once conveyed home, I sent them off for Powder coating and they are now set ready for some day in the distant future when they may be fixed to the car. As an additional note, I cut extra holes into the front bumper to allow powder coating and rust proofing inside in the belief that if they rust from the inside, then there will be an added layer of protection.

continues: http://www.jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10454
Roger S
Aberdeenshire
E-TYPE MODEL SECTION COORDINATOR

Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests