Boot seal

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

greeban

Member
Posts:252
Joined:Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am
Boot seal

Postby greeban » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Does anyone know what boot seal can be used to replace the one in the last of the line XJS as the original part is no longer available - part number HHE5372AA. Is the seal the same as in older models so perhaps could use one of these? Has anyone looked to see if seals from other models can be cut down to suit? Mine is torn/worn in various places and looks shabby so would like to replace it; damn annoying when these simple parts are no longer available!!

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Boot seal

Postby ptjs1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi greeban,

I'm struggling to understand why there would have been changepoints at the VINs identified by the Jaguars parts site. The body and boot itself didn't change. Maybe it's an "improved" part, but maybe it's just a parts number anomaly?

If I were you, I would get my local dealer to order in the older available part and compare it to your own before buying. My own dealer would happily send it back if I didn't want it or give me about 20% discount if I did buy it.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: Boot seal

Postby Brakebuster » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:01 pm

the facelift boot is deffinatly different to the pre-facelift ,

the major difference is that there is no scuttle panel under the rear window on the facelift . making the actual boot lid top four inches longer, inboard.

this means the boot opening is much longer , and as such a different seal is required

however

i would suspect the best course of action is to find another old seal , cut out as much as is required to make a repair section where yours is torn ,

BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Boot seal

Postby ptjs1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:30 pm

BB,

I agree that pre- and post-facelift boots are different but Jaguar quote 2 changepoints and 3 x different seals just for facelift boots. The first one of these is available but not the later 2 numbers. I'm struggling to understand the difference between an an early facelift and late facelift seal.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: Boot seal

Postby Brakebuster » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 pm

ah , i see


buy one and find out......

BB :wink:
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

bokapita
Posts:19
Joined:Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Re: Boot seal

Postby bokapita » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:27 pm

There are loads of suppliers of seals. Make a diagram of the cross-section with dimensions and send it to (eg) seals direct and ask them what they can do. Or cut a bit off and send it to them, or ask grublogger what they have second hand. None of these sort of items were actually specially made for Jaguar, just specified to a given size from a known type.

greeban

Member
Posts:252
Joined:Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Boot seal

Postby greeban » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks - lots of good ideas; I think I might just try the idea of buying the seal that is available for the facelift to find out what the difference is, if any. If there is a difference then I will cut out and replace. I will post my findings.
FYI - Grublogger told me he had thrown out any boot seals he had - I guess they were just too poor to sell on.

greeban

Member
Posts:252
Joined:Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Boot seal

Postby greeban » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Ordered seal which is still available for the convertible, BEC12333, and fits perfectly. Job done!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests