Sagging driver's seat

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
GlennH
Posts:120
Joined:Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:24 pm
Location:March, Cambridgeshire
Sagging driver's seat

Postby GlennH » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:33 pm

Folks,

The foam in the centre section of the driver's seat of my XJR-S has gone soft with age and wear. It goes flat when I sit on it resulting in me effectively sitting on the rubber support beneath it. A bum numbing experience on a long journey :(

Does anyone know a good source of high density upholstery foam, or can recommend a firm to refurbish my seats? The green piping on the seat back has worn away too, so a good refurbisher might be called for anyway.

Cheers,
Glenn.
Glenn.
1989 XJR-S 6.0.
2001 X-Type 3.0 Sport.
Both in British Racing Green.

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Postby Brakebuster » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:04 pm

there is a guy on ebay ( no affiliation ) that sell brand new NOS seats for our beloved cars , they are original items, i have not had one from him yet, but i have bought door cards and other leather items, and they are as described

another option is to swap the whole seat base for the passenger one,

as i recall they are not handed and will fit either side,

the seatback ( upright section ) is however handed ,

swaping the seat base would be the quickest job , as all you need do is take out both seats, remove the backs, swap em over and bolt em back into the car,

this would also facilitate the refurbishment of the ( now ) passenger seat while still being able to drive the car

hope this helps

and good hunting

BB 8)

User avatar
GlennH
Posts:120
Joined:Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:24 pm
Location:March, Cambridgeshire

Postby GlennH » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi BB,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have seen that chap on eBay, unfortunately, the piping on the XJR-S cars is different to the standard seats or sports seats. The piping on my car is green to match the paint and I have yet to see him offer any like that. I will keep looking though, just in case.

Good idea about swapping the seat bases.
It actually looks even easier than you suggest. The centre section of the base is held in place only by a few staples at the front and two loops of fabric at the back. I did think of just swapping the sections between the driver and passenger seats, but it's a mean trick to play on my passengers. :oops:

I guess I could impose a weight restriction on passengers to ensure their travelling comfort :D
Anyone got a 'No Hippos' Sign I could use? :twisted:
Glenn.
1989 XJR-S 6.0.
2001 X-Type 3.0 Sport.
Both in British Racing Green.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests