Celebration convertible - Rust-proofing

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

l.grainger
Posts:7
Joined:Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:18 pm
Location:Stirlingshire
Celebration convertible - Rust-proofing

Postby l.grainger » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:23 am

These, and all post-face-lift cars, were supposed to have been very well rust-protected. Mine seems 100% in that respect & I'd like to keep it that way!
But I have heard comments that the rust-proofing was not consistently good on all the face-lift cars, & some have rusted.
Does anyone have experience on this point - & what additional protective treatments may be apprpriate?

User avatar
Dimdip
Posts:48
Joined:Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:04 pm
Location:Odiham, Hants.

Celebration convertible - Rust-proofing

Postby Dimdip » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:05 pm

My '92 was rusted in the usual places - behind the rear bumper sides at the seam, around the front seat belt mount/sill area and suprisingly around the front damper on the doubler plate/inner wing :cry: . I've had these repaired, the car rustprofed professionally and I also regularly re-apply waxoil/WD40 to areas as I see fit. ie when carrying out maintenance/repair, if I see a likely corner I give it a squirt - so far so good :lol: - only the expansion tank seems to be under attack at the moment!

greeban

Member
Posts:252
Joined:Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

Celebration convertible - Rust-proofing

Postby greeban » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:46 pm

I have a 95 celeb and it too needed rust repair around driver's seat belt mounting - full Jag service history and yet no one checked the plate underneath - doh!
Also, check deep into wheel arch from inside car - may need to remove internal trim - mine has air vent in door pillar that you can remove to view; I found some rust just beginning in wheel arch seam - had to dig out some of the sealant as rust was getting behind it. Not sure if a pro would do all this for you? Also, looking inside the sills with a fine light beam could see some rust beginning - sprayed with rust convertor before applying dinitrol. Should sort it out!
Does a professional drill any access holes into the sturcture under the car? I would be interested as I have still to do this.

jonc3725
Posts:73
Joined:Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:55 pm
Location:PLYMOUTH,DEVON

Celebration convertible - Rust-proofing

Postby jonc3725 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:01 am

having removed a lot of tin worm from mine :cry: I can list all the area's which are boxed in and where grommets, access covers or masking tape! are used to seal the holes. these area's are where you need to rust proof, probably annually (depending on stowage of said car!). I will put together a thread with phot's when I get an hour over the weekend, Hope this helps all XJS owners to keep there pride and joy in tact for future generations to adore :)
1986 3.6 MANUAL (WAHOO FINISHED FULL RESTORATION!!!!!!!!!)

1998 MK IV TOYOTA SUPRA TT VVTI

LIVING THE DREAM

l.grainger
Posts:7
Joined:Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:18 pm
Location:Stirlingshire

Celebration convertible - Rust-proofing

Postby l.grainger » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:39 pm

Thanks guys,

I hope to get the time to look in all the suggested areas - & will let you know what I find.

Best wishes for the Festive Season!

Regards

Laurence


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests