If I did..... which one do you suggest would fit with minimal damage...... just in-case I get a attack of return to the as delivered spec. This would be the only deviation from standard so it's a big decision for me!!!! hense the rambling!
Exchange bonnet badge for leaping cat?
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Should I?
If I did..... which one do you suggest would fit with minimal damage...... just in-case I get a attack of return to the as delivered spec. This would be the only deviation from standard so it's a big decision for me!!!! hense the rambling!
If I did..... which one do you suggest would fit with minimal damage...... just in-case I get a attack of return to the as delivered spec. This would be the only deviation from standard so it's a big decision for me!!!! hense the rambling!
'85 COBALT BLUE JDM, V12 XJ-S HE
XJI1703
XJI1703
Exchange bonnet badge for leaping cat?
Hi Carl
I think you said it all really - if this would be the only deviation from original it would be a shame to change that. All a matter of taste of course, but everybody knows they never came with a leaper and to me it all looks a bit 'add on'. There's also the legality issue, so to do it properly you'd need a retractable version and then you are surely talking about a sizeable hole in your bonnet and a difficult modification to reverse. I'm sure others will help you more with your deliberations.
Incidentally, I have exactly the same year car and colour as yours, all as factory original (gathering dust, literally), so let me know if I can help you in any way. In particular I'm sure that the xj40 gunmetal coachlines you have are unlikely to be the same height as the original HE coachlines fitted to our cars. As this is quite a noticeable feature of the original HE cars from 81-85, fitting the incorrect ones will immediately mark your car out dfferently.
I think you said it all really - if this would be the only deviation from original it would be a shame to change that. All a matter of taste of course, but everybody knows they never came with a leaper and to me it all looks a bit 'add on'. There's also the legality issue, so to do it properly you'd need a retractable version and then you are surely talking about a sizeable hole in your bonnet and a difficult modification to reverse. I'm sure others will help you more with your deliberations.
Incidentally, I have exactly the same year car and colour as yours, all as factory original (gathering dust, literally), so let me know if I can help you in any way. In particular I'm sure that the xj40 gunmetal coachlines you have are unlikely to be the same height as the original HE coachlines fitted to our cars. As this is quite a noticeable feature of the original HE cars from 81-85, fitting the incorrect ones will immediately mark your car out dfferently.
Phil B
'85 HE coupe & '95 4.0 coupe
'85 HE coupe & '95 4.0 coupe
Exchange bonnet badge for leaping cat?
Thanks for the advice, I don't think I will change, she is in for a paint job and I have sourced all badges, even a "HE" just the coach lines now, and i agree I should continue my search for the real thing. I am hoping Watjag can help, they offer "as original" but I am yet to find out the cost!
The only remaining job when she returns is the get the boot space back to spec. The fuel swirl tank must of been leaking for years destroyed most everything in there. trim carpet and covers missing!
You prob guessed I have only had her a short time 4 months, but mechanically sound now full MOT and body will soon be.... just need the reference points to get it right!
Thanks again.
The only remaining job when she returns is the get the boot space back to spec. The fuel swirl tank must of been leaking for years destroyed most everything in there. trim carpet and covers missing!
You prob guessed I have only had her a short time 4 months, but mechanically sound now full MOT and body will soon be.... just need the reference points to get it right!
Thanks again.
'85 COBALT BLUE JDM, V12 XJ-S HE
XJI1703
XJI1703
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Exchange bonnet badge for leaping cat?
Should I?
If I did..... which one do you suggest would fit with minimal damage...... just in-case I get a attack of return to the as delivered spec. This would be the only deviation from standard so it's a big decision for me!!!! hense the rambling!
the correct ' leaper ' that Jaguar and the JEC actually sell is a direct swap for the growler badge, the mounting holes are exactly the same
its a simple swap, and legally , i bet you will never get asked, and if you do , swap back to the growler, there are lots and lots of jaguar with leapers on that never get ' pulled' for ' legal ' reasons
the only cosmetic problem you may get is a ring around the old growler badge that should be polished out before mounting the leaper
BB
just as a point of fact, i have a growler badge, with a leaper over it and a full length chrome bonnet strip , all fitted by Jaguar from new , just like my non existent genuine Jaguar sunroof , lol
If I did..... which one do you suggest would fit with minimal damage...... just in-case I get a attack of return to the as delivered spec. This would be the only deviation from standard so it's a big decision for me!!!! hense the rambling!
the correct ' leaper ' that Jaguar and the JEC actually sell is a direct swap for the growler badge, the mounting holes are exactly the same
its a simple swap, and legally , i bet you will never get asked, and if you do , swap back to the growler, there are lots and lots of jaguar with leapers on that never get ' pulled' for ' legal ' reasons
the only cosmetic problem you may get is a ring around the old growler badge that should be polished out before mounting the leaper
BB
just as a point of fact, i have a growler badge, with a leaper over it and a full length chrome bonnet strip , all fitted by Jaguar from new , just like my non existent genuine Jaguar sunroof , lol
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Exchange bonnet badge for leaping cat?
Should it be black or gold growler badge?
Thanks
Thanks
'85 COBALT BLUE JDM, V12 XJ-S HE
XJI1703
XJI1703
Exchange bonnet badge for leaping cat?
BB, you say the JEC sell them where do i find them?
Carl
Carl
'85 COBALT BLUE JDM, V12 XJ-S HE
XJI1703
XJI1703
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Exchange bonnet badge for leaping cat?
somewhere on the site, lol, or get one from the JDHT ( Jaguar Heritage Club as its now known ) , about £25
as for the colour of the growler, that all depended on model year and engine type
the JDHT will list the correct growler for your year and engine ,
BB
as for the colour of the growler, that all depended on model year and engine type
the JDHT will list the correct growler for your year and engine ,
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests
