Page 1 of 1
Handbrake Pad Failure
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:43 pm
by holman466
I recently had the handbrake of my 1993 coupe serviced - new pads x 4 - should be simple. Within hours all 4 pads delaminated and fell off the back plates to the considerable irritation and expense of the garage who re-fitted with new pads supplied grudginly by the retailer. Of the new set, one pad has repeated this performance, losing its pad. My garage is now even more upset but has fitted new pads supplied by the retailer. All the evidence is that I have not abused the brakes but there has been a failure of the bonding agent.
Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Handbrake Pad Failure
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:23 pm
by Mr.Ian
I've read stories about them getting ripped off when people forget that the handbrake is on (as it drops down even when on) and just drive off.
I've always felt that they are a very small surface area to hold a car of that weight anyway. (but they've managed for years).
We're they genuine pads or good brand name pads???? or where they made by '''Super Stoppers.com '''
Handbrake Pad Failure
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:02 pm
by poprivet
Hello Holman, welcome to the forum.
I guess yours must have been one of the last of the inboard braked cars. As I'm sure you are aware the H/B pads never hold a moving disc so if the handbrake lever is correctly released the problem can only be incorrect fitting/adjustment. I would suspect that the auto adjusters are siezed and the fitter has tried to set them by means of the cable instead. They are difficult to do in situ, the first time I attempted it they didn't last too long, the second time I did them while the subframe was out and it was much simpler.
While never able to do handbrake turns, a properly set system will hold an auto in gear facing downhill.
I somehow doubt if they will completely cure the problem without taking the whole assembly out first. Let us know how you get on.
Re: Handbrake Pad Failure
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:54 pm
by NATONEIL
I was told by an old jag enthusiast now sadly deceased. Never try to stop your car on the handbrake if going backwards at a pace. Stop it on the foot brake and then apply the handbrake. He did explain why, I have forgotten but since being told that I have never had a pad strip off the backing.