Page 1 of 1

XJRS 6.0L Brake upgrade

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:38 am
by Motormerve
Having finally got correct new rubber 245/55/16 back and 225/50/16 at the front I need to replace the warped discs. There are a lot products and stories out there inc AP racing calipers, Fosseway and even heard of some people fitting DB7 i6 kits. Any advice from people who have used any of these products?

Re: XJRS 6.0L Brake upgrade

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:35 pm
by ptjs1
Motormerve,

I am sure that there are improvements to be had, but the one criticism that could never be levied at the XJS was that it was under-braked especially at the front. The standard 4-pot calipers and vented discs are extremely good which is why so many owners run with standard brakes. There are upgraded discs such as drilled and grooved varieties available from the usual suppliers and improved pad material. However, I certainly wouldn't rush into any caliper upgrade unless you're sure of whatever benefit you may get.

Good luck with your decision

Paul

Re: XJRS 6.0L Brake upgrade

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 pm
by Motormerve
Hi, You are probably right but I've been tempted by the Fosseway. The standard breaking set up on my '95 Celebration works great but I have to say with the big V12 lump at the front I am not satified with the braking on the XJRS. So here goes, money paid a month later we will see how it is....

Re: XJRS 6.0L Brake upgrade

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:54 pm
by davidr
I will be interested in the outcome of this. Please post as much as you can on here with pictures if possible. This has the feel of something we can turn into a magazine article!

Re: XJRS 6.0L Brake upgrade

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:34 pm
by Motormerve
Hi David,

Yes, l’ll take some pics as the Fosseway goes in and also very keen to test drive the reality of the six pot set up. “Sooty” is gradually transforming, steering wheel now on correct side, Tremec T5 manual box done, new carpet trimming next month. But funnily enough the best upgrade was the cheapest. Taking off the original 15 year old rubber and putting Toyo Proxes at rear and Yokohama at front totally transformed the handling of the car. One small frustration is not been able to get hold of a zytec diganostic that little orange light just wont go off....