Can't find correct bolt and screw part numbers for ABS cars.

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm
Can't find correct bolt and screw part numbers for ABS cars.

Postby SimonR » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:33 pm

Hello everyone,

This is a minor issue but it's annoying me enough that I thought I'd post. I also fear that this problem may crop up again with other parts so it would be a good thing to know if this information is available anywhere.

The issue is that I need to buy a couple of bolts and three self-tapping screws, but can't find them listed anywhere on parts schematics. I've looked at the assembly diagrams on the SNG Barratt website and also on the Jaguar/Land Rover classic parts website, and although I can find the schematics of the rear hubs and of the ABS sensor wiring, none of the fixings are listed.

E.g.

Hub Assembly: https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk ... mbly/26250

ABS Electrics: https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk ... mbly/26148

You can see on the hub (even though that's not what my 89 car's hub looks like) where the sensor is located and the bolt hole, but the bolt isn't listed. The self-tappers are used to hold the wiring clips onto the hub - two of them on the offside and one on the near side.

In the case of the self-tapping screws, I realise that I can probably just go to a hardware store and purchase something that's almost right, but I'd like to use the correct parts if possible!

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: Can't find correct bolt and screw part numbers for ABS cars.

Postby SimonR » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:11 pm

I kept looking at the online assembly diagrams and although the bolt (or set screw) is pictured on the facelift XJS hub diagrams, it's not got a part number and is not mentioned in the accompanying notes.

In the end I've bought non-Jag replacements:

The bolt that holds the ABS sensor into the hub is a steel/zinc plated M6 x16 mm flanged bolt, and the self tappers are 3.5mm (diameter) X 9.5 mm (length) flanged screws.

The self tappers are originally black-coated (anodised?) steel, but I've gone for stainless replacements.

That info may help others in the future I guess!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests